Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Feedback Surveys

Question: Do you think all online programs should include some sort of mandatory student feedback, where the students can rate the interactivity of the program and give suggestions?

Yes; Arzu.
Satrohan

At the end of the semester, I always like to give the students a questionaire permitting them to state to pros and cons to the class. I also encourage them to let me know if there is something they would have like to see included in the class. I get alot of positive feedback.

Colleen:
Does your institution administer course evaluation surveys?

Do you believe periodic surveys would be better than an end-of semester survey?

Satrohan

Yes our school administers course evals. I personally like to check myself per courses I instruct in and provide feedback forms to students (usually mid-term). I use this feedback to adjust the materials I present based on students learning styles, quizes etc.

Our school aslo administers course evaluation surverys, but they use those results more as feedback on the instructor.

I feel that periodic surveys would help both the instructor, by allowing them to alter the course if it is not meeting the needs of the student...and also the student, by reassuring them that the instructor is there to make sure the students needs are met and that they have a voice in the matter.

Ravie:
Under several circumstances, I wil use periodic surveys. For example, let's assume that I have used a field trip as an opportunity for students to apply what hey ahve learned. In my opinion, it will be better for me to solicit feedback from the students very soon after the field trip as to gather information to enable me to determine whether the field trip met my purpose behind the assignment.

Ravie:
I storngly caution against changing the course at any point during its delivery. I suggest you sit back, reflect on what I am asking you to exercise this caution, and share the reasons that surface with us. Changing a course "mid-stream: is definitely a high risk undertaking.
Satrohan

I understand your caution regarding changing the course mid-stream. The reflections that come to mind include:
* The syllabus/course structure is altered. This can have a negative impact on students who are used to a particular course structure...lead to confusion.
* Harder for students and instructor to plan and manage the course.

Thank you for your input.
Ravie

Ravie:
These are some additional impacts to consider>

Most students review course descriptions beofre the enroll into courses. The Course syllabus might be part of the course description. We cannot change mid-stream. If we do, we fail to manage the expectations we set in the course, and could lead ourselves open to litigation----at least in some countries.

Changing the course structure may not be a significant issue if the Modules are released on a time basis; for example every fourteen days. In other words, students study one module at a time; however, as per the first point, you cannot change the course objectives and the content as this could be considered as an infraction of the student agreement. This is similar to ordring a product, paying for it, and receiving a different product.
Satrohan

I think that would be a great idea. A lot of students are more tech savvy than we are. And if there's an Einstein out there, why not get him/ her to help us develop the system?

Rating the interactivity of the program is a great idea-- but 9 out of 10 times I think you will find that a student rates the course or even the course interactivity by the grade he or she receives in the course.

I don't like reading my instructor 'feedback'. I receive everything from "the most helpful instructor I have encountered" to "she didn't help me at all" in the same course. I could probably line up the first comment with and A grade and the second comment to a D grade.

I would assume that I provided the same services to both students-- yet one liked the class and one didn't--- simply because he or she didn't like the grade received.

Absolutely. No process is mature without a feedback loop. I have not yet seen a perfect course, and so a student and teacher perspective is very helpful in improving a course.

It can be very hard to read student evaluations, but sometimes there can be helpful information on how to improve. I have also found that some students respond better than others to certain teaching methods, which might result in the mixed responses.

Thanks for your comments Tina!

You are right, there is no such thing as a perfect course--or a perfect teacher for that matter. Student evaluations provide necessary feedback for the course writers as well as the teacher.

Sign In to comment