Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nonparticipating Students

In the classes that I have been teaching lately, I have had about 20 to 25 students. And usually in every class about 5 to 8 don't participate or start to but then I don't get anything else from them. What would be you suggestions on how to get them more involved? Usually at the end of the first week of class I send a little note to them if I see that they have not participated yet, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. Should I continue to sending notes each week to a student that has not been participating?

Anna:
Managing attrition can be a real challenge. Many institutions with which I work struggle with this problem. I remind them than in a traditional classroom setting, there is always a percentage of attrition. Sending the reminders is about the best you can do. How effective this will be depends on whether students are required to participate on a dialy or weekly basis; or whether they have a specified period of time within which to complete the course. Students may drop the course for personal reasons they may not feel comfortable sharing. I am assuming that the institution with which you work has policies that govern at which point students will be automatically withdrawn from the course if they do not participate.

Well, right from the first class, you should make the students feel comfortable, by having a picture of the instructor and a brief introduction. Than have the students do the same. With that they can fell relax and it should keep them in line with course time frame and the instructor can use weekly feedback

Scott:
Exchanging biographies, as you suggested usually serves as a good icebreaker. I strongly recommend more frequent feedback than weekly for students who do not meet the expected level of participation.
Satrohan

I work with Anna and have the same issues. Our program is evolving to increase the contact with students from a number of sources. But as mentioned, often the students may have personal issues. Some times it is as simple as not having internet access; but may be as complex as not being able to afford the bill for the internet. I have tried weekly and biweekly contact to try to pull students into conversation. It is a more difficult setting than the face to face classroom for sure!

Amy:
The issues you have raised are, in my opinion, purely administrative. Studenst with personal issue sshould be able to speak to a Counselor. Your institution should ensure that students who have opted for online learning have internet access and can support such access financially. Can you share with me the age range of the students to whom you are referring?
Satrohan

Most of the students are the typical college age, but we also work with non-traditional students who are changing careers. Their issues are less financial and more towards learning how to use the computer/internet, time management, and not getting overwhelmed by new material and being a student again. The dynamics of 20-30 people from age 20-45 makes the teaching experience even more challenging.

Quite a few interesting ideas, Amy. I'd like to focus on the "changing careers" population.

Other students in this course have expressed similar problems.

My Thoughts on This Population

The class size is definitley an isssue for this population.

Upgrading computer literacy through online learning can be a real challenge for this population. They can take the training online; however, the Instructor must be physically present in the classroom to provide immediate assistance. I am referring to a computer-lab environment.

Members of this population must acquire the desired level of computer literacy before they take any online course in a stand-alone distance e-learning environment. If they can take the first online course in a computer-lab environment, all the better. Second to this will be a hybrid version of the course.

Members of this population should thoroughly analyze their lifestyle, commitments, responsibilities etc and calculate the minimum number of hours they will have to devote to studies. Based on that number, they should choose the number of courses they should take simultaneously.

The enthusiasm to change careers can result in a "rush into things" especially fo those who become overly enthusiastic. Inadequate analysis and planning can lead to far too many surprises. Taken all together, this is what can be overwhelming all by itself.

These are my thoughts on the issues you have brought to light, and some recommendations on how to manage this situation.
Satrohan

I agree with your thoughts. It is tough to have a class of nearly 30 online students and have 10-25% trying to learn how to navigate the internet and new computer functions. I deal with the overly enthusiastic student often. They are the ones that need their hand held, but are often logged in a lot more than others. It is great to see them evolve into being so proud of finishing and learning a new way to be a student.

The online program at my institution is fairly new, but seems to be going well. I know our administrative personnel do a thorough assessment of the student before allowing them to enter into the program.

We also have hybrid students--those who are doing traditional and online. Our staff interviews these students as well. It seems to be working.

Quite frankly I chose this discussion topic because this problem is one of the most puzzling and frustrating problems I have encountered with online teaching. It is uncomprehendable to me that students would pay good money for a course and then just do nothing and end up failing the course. I am hoping to gain some ideas from all of you that will help with this problem.
One thing I have learned with regard to reminder/encouraging/threatening letters is that students receive better when they receive a personal and individualized letter rather than a Dear Student letter. Even though I may copy and paste the same letter to many students, they like it better when they think they are getting a one off/personal letter. Because they like it better, they respond to it better. So one thing I would contribute to the discussion is to send personal, one student letters rather than group letters or announcements.
Something I have learned from your postings thus far is requesting biographical data from the students. Although I post a biographical sketch of myself, I have not solicited biographical data from my students. Given your responses in this forum, I think I will try some variation of this next term to try to engage students more quickly.
Beyond these thoughts, I would really like to hear suggestions on how to get non-participaters participating early on in the course.

While I have been posting an autobiography, I have not been asking my students to do the same. I like the idea being communicated in this forum and think I will try to incorporate it in some form next session. I am wondering, though, what if students don't want to share their biographical information? What if they want to remain somewhat anonymous for personal reasons? Would seeking biographical information somehow intimidate them?

There are a few more things I would suggest to engage students. The first would be to set the expectations of participation very clearly from the beginning of the class. Make sure all students are aware of the amount of participation that needs to take place as well as the quality of those responses. Second, call every student at the beginning of class to discuss expectations of the class and allow students the opportunity to ask any questions. I have found I get some very positive results from my students when I give them a call the first weeks of class. It is an opportunity to breakdown the barriers and let them know I care about their success because I took the time to reach out to them.

I think you can leave the biographical information open ended enough to allow students to make the decision on how much they want to share. You will find that some students will tell you as much as they can where others will not share as much. But I think the exercise is still worth while because connections can still be made between the students and teacher.

Some learners prefer independent environments and tend to be shy, is that wrong? I suggest you have a personal forum/chat via email and see if they're more apt to give their input. If all else fails, pick up the cell phone and ask what's going on? Do you like the class or what?

Good Luck

Reaching out to students via cell phone is a great idea. Getting that personal touch can be very effective for a student that is struggling.

I am taking this CEE development course because I have not taught an online class yet, but I believe I will within the next 6-12 months. I have had some issues with nonparticipative students in the traditional classroom (as have been described by many) and have somewhat mastered techniques to involve almost everyone when we're face-to-face. However, this is a big concern for me as I possibly enter the online world of instruction so the tips that have been provided here have been a huge help - especially about reaching out to them personally on their cell phone.

Thank you!

I am glad to read that this discussion has been helpful for you Krissi! Good luck with teaching your first online class.

Amy, I agree with your comments about the range of types of students in these online courses. Most of my students (30-35 per section, 3 sections per session) are adult learners--people in their late twenties, thirties, and on up. Most are raising families (often as single moms), working, and, understandably, are very challenged to get everything done and to also do well at online university. Time Management is a topic I often bring up; that and Assuming Responsibility for their performance in the university. Almost all of my students are "stressed out" and over-committed, but still they must somehow figure out how to maintain balance and succeed in their online courses.

Sign In to comment