Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication

Its imperative to keep open and postive communication between student and instructor

Tameisha:
Please share your thoughts with us on these two questions.

Question 1
In terms of keeping the communication open, how will you manage this in terms of times when students can contact you, and the response time you can commit to?

Question 2
Is negative feedback also appropriate?
Satrohan

When setting up communications, I feel that on-line classes should have 24 hour turn around when answering students

24 hour turn around is a excellent time frame to give, as it shows priority.

Negative feedback can be appropriate, but it depends on your approach. Language is very important when communicating through text. It can be helpful to use punctuation, smileys and shrt txt phrases that can reflect feeling and emotions.

Scott:
Twenty-four hours is the recommended standard.
Satrohan

Tameisha:
Yes; choice of words, appropriate tone etc are all appropriate when providing negative feedback. Moreover, the negative feedback must be provided ina constructive manner.
Satrohan

I usually check my emails 2 or three times a day. As a classroom instructor I still like for my students to contact me by email with questions or for additional help. So I think in order to keep the communication open, I think 24 hours is ok but, if at all possible I would try to make it within just a few hours.

tammy

Tamera:
The shorter the response time, the better; however, this may involve overextending yourself. Remember: Once you set a standard upfront, students may expect you to maintain that; hence, it is, in my opinion, better to commit to a 24-hour turnaround time, and respond earlier if possible.
Satrohan

I have been an online student and the importance of communication is imperative. The instructor and student must connect. I have had instructors in the past that replied quickly to all inquiries and this made learning easier for me. If communication is not exemplified the student does not receive quality instruction. Feedback is vital to the success of the instructor and student in the class.

Question 1 : As an instructor, I would try to respond within hours. This allows me to feel like I am connecting with my student and takes stress away from students worried about timely feedback.

Question 2: I have had instructors to give me negative feedback in the past. As an instructor, I would give negative feedback in a way of constructive criticism. I would not be rude but give information that would allow a student to change things so that success would be gained in the class.

Laletrice:
Feedback is important in both a traditional classroom setting and an online environment; however, I would encourage a faster turaround time in an online setting. The Instructor and the Students must connect. For that reason, as a minimum, I recommend students posting a "bio" on Day One, Instructors introducing themselves to the entire class on Day One, and Instructors sending personalized messages to individual students before the ending of the first week of class.
Satrohan

Laletrice:
Responding within a few hours would be great for both students and the Instructor. The shorter the response time, the more momentum is generated in the class.

Negative feedback as constructive criticism is the right strategy to adopt.
Satrohan

Communication between instructor and student is by far in my opinion the difference between that student excelling or just completing the course. If they are felt to be important and the lines of communications are open, they will not heistate to ask a question or participate in online chats.

It is important to have open and postive communication between student and instructor because this is part of retention. Without positive communication between the student and the instructor, you may not be able to retain the student in the course so that they get the knowledge that they are paying to receive.

I completely agree. With increased communication via electronic mediums there is a loss of tone and intent. So it is important to add connotation so that the message is perceived in the way you intended it to be.

Yes, that is important Kyle. Do you have specific examples of how you would make sure your message is being received how it was intended?

Communication online has to have its own tone. If you answer a student with short answers and no positive enforcement it can discourage a student from engaging into the discussion or even into the class.

Also if its a holiday during the week, letting the student know your hours helps to create a comfort level of sharing with the class your time schedule.

Next turnaround time on emails need to be posted so the student will know by when to expect your answer.

You make some very good suggestions Robin. And I agree that positive reinforcement is very important!

I agree that communication is so important in online instruction. In fact, I think it takes more time than in the traditional classroom for several reasons, but primarily:

1. Time to respond, and,

2. No face-to-face interaction which can be disconcerting to some students. We have to let them know "we're there" with frequency of how we communicate...and the tone, as mentioned here.

It's very easy as well to lose the meaning of our message and possibly offending a student. E.mail for example, is important, but without thinking through the tone of our message and adding as much depth as possible, miscommunication can occur.

I find this one of the most challenging parts of online teaching--the communication, whether its getting the "right message" across, or "enough of the message" distributed around the e.classroom.

Written communication is so much more sophisticated and requires more time with each learner, which is excellent, it's just about constantly testing and finding the right balance.

But, timely, positive and open communication, even when the message is negative is critical to success in the online learning environment.

Sign In to comment