Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Support

I think it's important to stress right from the start of the very first week that as instructors we are here for the students and want to support them. They should email, call, chat, whatever us whenever they are struggling. This is why we teach. If they don't learn, we aren't doing our jobs. I think it's important to students to understand that they aren't "bothering" us when they contact us. Weekly reminders of this might really serve students well.

Agreed, Corinne. This would be an excellent standard to which to strive. Given th enumber of studeents an Instructor may have to support, we would wantr to temper the frequency of communication, and perhaps even the time for certain types of communication. If we do not, and we receive so many pieces of communication that forbids us maintaining the specified turnaround time, we can leave ourselves open to a different kind of criticism.
Satrohan

When I made the decision to become a part of a online teaching environment my biggest concern was this topic. I spoke to my three daughters all of whom have participated in online courses throughout their college career and their suggestion was to make sure I have ongoing communication and availability to students online. Because I believe in what I am doing and why I teach (to foster and nurture the upcoming generation of individuals in my field), I will become almost a nag - I try to let the students know that I do care that they are successful and attempt to look at their individual struggles to communicate to them for that reason.

Renee:
Your strong passion as well as your dedication to your students as expressed in this response and your previous one are definite success attributes to teaching in an online environment.
Satrohan

Dare I suggest it? – What about the addition of a twitter like(texting) account to arsenal available to instructors. I know it is the only way to contact my 2 sons. Of course the frequency would be an issue. Some might argue the lack of grammar and spelling would be an issue … but I dare say it is one of the main forms of communication used by students.

Yes, texting is a primary form of communication for students and it is a great idea to use it to communicate to them. I have, in fact, heard of instructors doing just that, but as you point out it is short, quick communications.

Absolutely, Corinne! I would add that instructors must consciously avoid a state of mind where we may burn out and start SEEING students as "bothers." I know for the most part this doesn't happen, but sometimes we all find ourselves getting overwhelmed - at those times, we need to remember to be gracious, accommodating, and helpful!

:)

Darcy

And we need to remember that they are our students and they need our support and attention! Thanks for your comments Darcy!

I do agree with you regarding students should not feel like they are bothering us when they contact us. I actually let my students know they can contact me at any time; I am always available to help and I am more than happy to help. I do have a sincere care towards all of my students success and they know I do mean that honestly. I was in their shoes when I worked on my degrees so I do understand how important it is to them and I let them know that. I think you have to be true to your students; they can tell if you really mean what you say. I love the interaction I have with my students and I still have past students contact with excitement to tell me how well they are doing in their other classes. I love to hear from them and hear about their success.

I agree with you in regards to students understanding that we are here for them. I do sometimes struggle with students who do not read the instructions or refer to the resources in the classroom and instead ask the instructor because it is easier.

Sign In to comment