Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Importance of checking posts before submission

Hi Everybody, I think we all know that most of us think faster than we type. As a result, many people - myself included - make grammatical errors in their postings. Since we represent the school, and we are the facilitators of the classes, it is critically important for us to ensure that our posts are accurate. Otherwise, it is more difficult to provide feedback to students about their grammatical errors. Thoughts??? Thanks!

Managing a noisy student

I have been a part of classes with students that tend to dominate the learning environment. How do you discipline a (know it all) student in a nice way?

Interstudent transfer of experiences

With on-line courses becoming more popular, how do you encourage the inter-student exchanges that happens freely (and at times spiritly) in a traditional classroom setting to occur in on-line courses? What techniques and styles have been found to be successful in allowing the student to learn more than the course content and learn from the fellow student experiences (the how-to-apply the course concepts in the real world)?

Synchronous and Asynchronous discussions

Does the instructor need to research to see what will need to be taught asynchronous or synchronous? I think so because I like to bring in 'real world' scenarios. I would introduce this material in a synchronous (chat) session.

Importance of the Biography

I think of biographies as being the icebreaker for the class. What do you think?

Success in Online Learning

Is success in online learning based on the instructor or student? Please list reasons for answer.

Understanding learning styles

I was really interested in this module because It will not only help me with the on-line course but with my classes I teach at the college. Pointers on how to bring in students into the conversation and group participation is a great way of assisting shy student to feel that they are involved and important. Assigning threaded discussions on-line as a grade makes the students get involved even if they want to make a good grade. I feel that I learned a lot of great ways to manage my on-line classes in this course.

Student Feedback Surveys

Question: Do you think all online programs should include some sort of mandatory student feedback, where the students can rate the interactivity of the program and give suggestions?

Skill Survey as Part of Enrollment Process

We're a private trade school, so as part of our online enrollment process, our students fill out a series of skill surveys. This gives a good foundational background on our students before they even begin the program. We've found that this really helps -- when the student starts the program, we already know their skills, attributes, qualifications, previous professional experience and their career goals. The students seem to feel more engaged since we've refined this process, and more open to conversing with the online instructors. It also gives us a chance to help them create their resumes, if they have… >>>

Communication

Its imperative to keep open and postive communication between student and instructor

Introduction to Students

I personally send each student an email prior to the start of their course with me to introduce myself and set the groud work. I end with telling them I look forward to having them fo the next xxxamount of weeks and for them to successfully complete the course.

Nonparticipating Students

In the classes that I have been teaching lately, I have had about 20 to 25 students. And usually in every class about 5 to 8 don't participate or start to but then I don't get anything else from them. What would be you suggestions on how to get them more involved? Usually at the end of the first week of class I send a little note to them if I see that they have not participated yet, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. Should I continue to sending notes each week to a student that has not been participating?

Keeping the student motivated

When a student first enters a class they are very eager to learn but sometimes as the course progresses some students seem to become distracted. Sometimes this is due personal problems that interfer with class room paticipation. As the instructor how do we encourage and motivate the student to get them back on track?

Current Events as an ancillary forum

In my communication course there are numerous opportunities to make practical allpications to current events. For example, almost everyone has an opinion about the presidential election (either a favorite candidate or the process itself)... Students suddenly realize that the theoretical constructs have become concrete, and that their discussions and arguments are more cogent than before they took the course. It's a great opportunity for "aha!" moments...

Support

For me to support my students in every aspect of the class is extremly important now only from a teachers propective but also a students. They need to know that they have different avenues to go to

Support

I think it's important to stress right from the start of the very first week that as instructors we are here for the students and want to support them. They should email, call, chat, whatever us whenever they are struggling. This is why we teach. If they don't learn, we aren't doing our jobs. I think it's important to students to understand that they aren't "bothering" us when they contact us. Weekly reminders of this might really serve students well.

Questions and More Questions

I think, when responding to discussion forums, it is important to probe students further by responding to their posts with more questions to get them thinking even more. Perhaps they'll respond to the questions in writing. Perhaps they won't. But, when applicable, responding with questions, in addition to recognizing and acknowledging their thoughts, will get them thinking further and working harder.

Working Harder

I just want to stress the need I find as an online instructor to work maybe harder than a "real-live" instructor to get to know my students. We don't have the ability to shake anyone's hand or smile at them. We can't use body language or non-verbal cues to reassure our students. We also don't have them captive in a room that shares energy and enthusiasm. They are free to come and go as they please with very surface-level interaction from us and it is for that reason that we have check in more often and really work hard to… >>>

The importance of the written word...

I just want to stress that no matter what topic we as teachers are teaching, we must present our thoughts in writing correctly. We are, after all, role models for the students and they are learning from everything we say or do. What I mean is that I think it's important to write formally when writing online. We need to develop complete sentences and paragraphs (and ideas!) with proper punctuation and syntax. Shortcuts and internet lingo, to me, are indications of unprofessionalism and our students will become models of our behavior. It is not only the English instructors who must… >>>

Synchronous Discussion Conflicts

In a chat session, two students being to argue with one another and their discussion becomes heated. As the instructor, I'm successful in gaining control over the chat and get it back on track. However, after the chat, I would be of the opinion that both students should be contacted to remind them of the importance of "Netiquette". I'd like to hear other's opinions on how to follow up on a situation like this.