Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping the student motivated

When a student first enters a class they are very eager to learn but sometimes as the course progresses some students seem to become distracted. Sometimes this is due personal problems that interfer with class room paticipation. As the instructor how do we encourage and motivate the student to get them back on track?

LaTisha:
Let's begin to explore the answer to your question by sharing with us how you would resolve this kind of a problem in a traditional classroon setting.
Satrohan

I find that breaking the course content into small bite size pieces will let the students process and understand information quicker. Once the basic or fundamentals are learned, then you can build on it. This keeps them motivated. If the student does not learn the fundamentals or basic information, then I believe they become unmotivated.

Charleen:
Following the "info-nuggets" and "serial build-up" approaches constitute good course design. They certainly will motivate students once they progressively master each level in the fundamentals.

Question for You
Lets assume that you course constitutes good design; however, you feel that some of your students are still not motivated to complete the learning activities, what are some strategies you will adopt to motivate them?
Satrohan

That's a good question, it can be particularly difficult if the student is at home or in a distracting environment. Perhaps encouraging him or her to set aside a certain time each day and to find a quiet place would work. It certainly could focus discipline...if you have time you might offer to be there for the student at that time, at least for a few days, so they get in the habit of concentrating there and then.

Time management and self-discipline are two fo the most important factors that contribute to successful online learning. Personal face-to-face support would go a very far way; however, how practical that can be for several students with the same problem will have to be evaluated. Perhaps you can try more frequent contacts with these students, frequent feedback, coaching etc as posiibilities for providing the same kinds of support from a distance.
Satrohan

I see this both as an instructor and a student in the online environment as well as the traditional classroom, it does not make a difference. Motivation must come from within though we can help guide it.

I think instructor motivation plays a big role in this; why are you teaching the class? Is it just to make money or are you actually enjoying what you are doing? I can't help but think back to a textbook that I read for a course in my Master's degree program called "Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn - A comprehensive guide to teaching adults" by Raymond J. Wlodkowski. In this book one of the things discussed is this topic exactly. Bottom line, if you do not keep the students interested by showing them that the material being taught is relevant to their future they will not learn.

Near the start of courses the material is new and exciting and near the end of the course the material sometimes gets old and repetitive. This does not make students want to learn.

Be excited to teach; do not use the same material each time; be involved in discussion boards; and ask questions that involve the results of the training.

-Chris

Chris:
Your recommendations in the last paragraph of your return are well taken. I would like to touch on another point you made about students realizing the importance of learning the information. This is an important aspect of good course design and setting student expectations.

we encourage Instructors to state this information at the course level as well as the module and lesson lesvels in the introductory level.
Satrohan

I think only some of the issues lies in the personal problems. The other part is when you come to a section in the assignment and you don’t understand it you tend to keep putting it off until it is at the last minute. I think a way to keep them motivated would also encourage them to ask question when you don’t understand something. Let them know that they are doing a great job by email when you send there results.

Roshone:
I agree that personal problems can be a significant contributor to lack ofmotivation as well as early attrition. Nevertheless, as you suggest, identifying the "stragglers" early, asking probing questions with the aim to identify the reasons for late submission of Assignments, offer solutions, and providing periodic positive feedback for their acheivements, even partial achievements, can make a big difference.
Satrohan

I find that consistent and positive communication with the student from the outset prevents a lot of "lagging" when other matters enter a student's life and suddenly their on-line course takes a back seat. If the instructor is a strong presence in the student's life on a regular basis, my experience has shown the student will be more apt to communicate their issues to the instructor so that alternate plans can be made to help the student realize the importance of their course work and to complete their course work on time.

Diane:
Well said. Maintaining a strong presence, consistent and timely feedback, positive tone in communication, and keeping the lines of communication open will, in my opinion, enable Instructos to identify students who are "lagging", and take corrective action.
Satrohan

Communication between student and instructor is the answer here. If a student has to wait for an answer to a question longer than they have to be a computer; then their motivation will fall. Answering questions promptly and completely will keep their confidence level at a good place.

Jo Anna:
we recognize the importance of prompt feedback, sticking to established turnaround times for answers to questions etc. Communication is very important. Have you had any instances when communication was not enough to motivate some students who are straggling. If they are straggling because of other reasons----personal, domestic, fiancial, relationship problems, for example; do you think that comunication will still be a motivator?
Satrohan

I have done analysis of student satisfaction surveys and found that prompt feedback was a better predictor of overall satisfaction than even teacher qualification. Under promise and over deliver on grading and other feedback. Frequent positive reinforcement and frank necessary correction works. Ask any animal trainer. :-)

Jim:
Agreed on both counts--frequent positive reinforcement, and frank necessary corrections.
Satrohan

Having a phone number for the students so that you have one additional method of reaching them is very helpful. I have access to every student’s phone number--work phone and home phone so I don't have to ask the students for them. I find this helpful as well.

Keeping a dialogue with the student is key, but not always possible. Let student know as often as possible to stick with what they are hoping to accomplish.

I think this is a great post. I think it is important to be active in the classroom as an instructor. We are the ones who have to work hard at keeping the students motivated. Without our support (direction, redirection) the students will tend to "wander off". The real problem is that at the END of the class, you will be bombarded with students asking for additonal time and help.

Why go there! Keep them working at it throughout the course by posting announcements and reminders!

Kim

Kimberly,
Slow and steady, wins the race. A consistent presence and guidance from the instructor pays great dividends when it comes to the outcome for students. Excellent point. Thank you for your contribution.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment