Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questions and More Questions

I think, when responding to discussion forums, it is important to probe students further by responding to their posts with more questions to get them thinking even more. Perhaps they'll respond to the questions in writing. Perhaps they won't. But, when applicable, responding with questions, in addition to recognizing and acknowledging their thoughts, will get them thinking further and working harder.

Corrine:
This is an excellent strategy you have recommended. Many Professor who use case studies have to be on line several times a day to evaluate students' responses, summarize, open new themes for discussion etc. Asking new questions not only extend the Discussion thread but invokes furhte rhinking. As per my answer to your previosu Question, however, this level of monitoring and "steering" will be demanding time wise.
Satrohan

I have been told that "spending a little more time" answering questions or asking questions to initiate a resonable response from a student is more valuable than an hour of lecture time. Instead of the student just listening and being bored they are taking an intrest and being involved.

Tammy

Tamera:
Questioning strategies are definitley appropriate if the Instructor is capable to manage the trail of Questions and Answers in an efficient manner.

Questions for You
1. How would you implement this strategy in an Online environment?

2. IF you have 15 students in your online group, how many hours do you believe you would have to spend per week to get all of the key points across to all of your students to that they have the requisite knowledge and skills to master the desired learning outcomes?
Satrohan

Question and answer sessions are so important to be sure the student has understood what the message is trying to convey. When a student does not ask questions, I wonder where there are at and question their interest level and reason for taking the course.

Lois:
Perhaps the reason some students do not ask questions is because they truly have none. Have you ever monitored the test scores of "silent" students in your class?
Satrohan

I think that is an excellent point and I too try to avoid making any value judgments of my students. It is entirely to hard in a virtual environment to infer people’s intentions and commitment through their participation and engagement styles; I tend to let the grades speak for themselves. Doing anything else is just far too subjective.

Sign In to comment