Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of the written word...

I just want to stress that no matter what topic we as teachers are teaching, we must present our thoughts in writing correctly. We are, after all, role models for the students and they are learning from everything we say or do. What I mean is that I think it's important to write formally when writing online. We need to develop complete sentences and paragraphs (and ideas!) with proper punctuation and syntax. Shortcuts and internet lingo, to me, are indications of unprofessionalism and our students will become models of our behavior. It is not only the English instructors who must write properly, it is all teachers!

Corinne:
As someone who coaches University Professors on how to convert the on-the-ground version of their courses into an online version, I support every single proposition you have made about the written expression. That's the same kind of advice, I give to Professors-----calrity, being concise, continuity, spelling, punctuation, are the primary ones I exercise for the Professors. Instructional designers are given additional prsecriptions.

It is for this reason that I remind professors that thier learners are now reades not listeners. Moreover, composing a page of instructional text take time.
Satrohan

I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you for bringing up what is, for me, too, an important issue. I am always telling students that their emails are important, too, because they also contribute to one's reputation on the job and in school. We have to model that conduct in every communication.

Joanne:
Success in the world calls for proficiency in both the written and spoken word. I discover on a daily basis many instances in which people awarded certifications, and are very comtetent in what they do, experience setbacks because of adequate communication skills; especially the written word.
Satrohan

I would add to your thoughts by saying that it is not just the instructors that must be clear. We must demand the same excellence from our students, regardless of their level of education. I teach in an adult vocational school and while many of my students do not have a great educational background we must ask them to write clearly. Yes, I do demand spell check for test questions answered and I do not allow "text speak" or the type of communication that exists in text messages.

I make it a point to not only do multiple choice questions as one of the things I think is important is to provoke thought with writing.

Does this make sense?

-Chris

Yes, it does Chris. Proficiency in the written word is extremely important for students learning in an online environment. Use of essay and short answer questions do have their place in assessment of learning outcomes.

Question
Do you believe our institutions of learning are placing enough emphasis on written comunication skills---especially grammar and syntax at the appropriate time in students' education?
Satrohan

Satrohan,

No I do not.

This is a conversation I have had over and over again during my Master's program as well and it all comes back to No Child Left Behind. Our students are pushed through Junior High and then pushed through High School because it is "not right to fail little Jammie." What is not right is to pass little Jammie when he can not communicate or do any other task that is asked of him.

Unfortunately for us we are the ones (Career Schools) that end up with the problem. Even though some of my colleagues at regular universities are seeing the same problem.

There was a really great article published on this from The Chronicles of Higher Education and if you give me permission to I will be happy to post it in this discussion in PDF format.

-Chris

Christopher:
Thank you for sharing. I would prefer that you provide the complete reference to us so that we can locate the article ourselves. By doing this we will ensure that we are not including content in this course that violates copyrights. If you want to post a PDF format, please contact MaxKnowledge fo permission. I cannot provide permission, not only because I am not an expert in U.S. copyright laws; but also because the content of this ocurse belongs to MaxKnowledge.

On another note, in my school days---from Elementary to secondary, it was acceptable to fail students and have them repeat the year.
Satrohan

I will have to agree with Chris. I teach at an adult career college and I see a myriad of grammatical errors on short answer questions. I think it is very important for students to maintain a certain level of writing skills. Several of my students do not understand the concepts of plagiarism or punctuation. They write the same way that they speak. They don't understand the difference in the way one should write and speak.

How can I get through to them that it is just as important to be able to speak/write well as it is to be competent in their job skills?

C H Brown

Chrystal:
The importance of both written and oral expression is, in my opinion, the responsibility of the Department of English of the Institution, and the Institution itself. As an instructor, you can remind your students of the importance; however, your course should not be the place for them to practice and perfect their skills. I suspect that if youpush too hard on the grammar and syntax requirement, the frequency of participation in Discussion forums may drop, or the quantity of participation may drop; or even both

In regards to Assignments, I suspect that you have the authority to implement a demerit point system for sub-standard written communication skills.

Chrystal,the substandard language communication skills you observe may not necessarily be the student's fault; unless, of course, we are confident that they have received adequate instruction in Grammar and Syntax. I am quite aware that many schools in Canada do not cover Grammar and Syntax indepth. Doing "lip-service" to that aspect of written communication is just about the best evaluation I can give. For these reasons, I read cover letters of job applicants that are flawed with errors.

Students have to be informed at an early stage in their Learning that proficiency in both oral and written English is a "must" for a business environment; regardless of whether they are in Engineering, IT, Graphics Designer, Flash Animation, or similar positions.
Satrhan

Another important note of this forum is requesting and expecting our students do the same. Especially on a computer with word-check at hand, I have little sympathy for misspelling and grammar errors.

Amy:
Your point is well taken; however, I know for a fact that MS word is flawed when it comes to spell-check and grammar and syntax. It will approve a word spelled correctly but used in the wrong place. For example: form and from. It has some serious problems with Subject-Verb Agreement. Perhaps other programs are better.
Satrohan

I agree that accurate, grammatically correct writing is important when communicating online. The main reason I find it so crucial is to prevent misunderstandings! After all, a minor change in punctuation can completely change the interpretation of writtem material. Any time you are communicating without benefit of facial expressions, tone of voice, and body language to support content you run the risk of being misunderstood. This can have embarrassing or even disastrous consequences!

Kristin

Kristin:
Your position on written communication is well taken. And you have articulated the consequences of misunderstandings well; especially with your use of the punctuation example, and those of body language.
satrohan

I agree with many of the posts in terms of having integrity towards language both written and spoken. However, my perspective is a little different. As a classroom English composition teacher and online English literature graduate student, I do think there is a clear difference between the spoken language and the written as I would never say “I think” in an academic paper. Discussion boards are the only way online students get to ‘speak’ to each other. If students prove themselves in formal papers, in which I coach them along, I am satisfied. The talks I have with students need to be professional, but I would not correct them while they talk—many rules of grammar just do not apply in the spoken word anyways.

Many students may not understand the criticism if it is overloaded with red marks. In rough drafts, I try to focus on one problem at a time. I keep their papers in their own portfolio, and in the end of the term, I meet with each student to discuss their progress. Every student that has passed my class has an improvement.

Also, every class does give the students an opportunity to practice writing skills, since they certainly haven’t had 10,000 hours writing academic papers, in reference to the rule referenced by Malcolm Gladwell. Learning how to write takes practice in three areas: reading, writing, and analyzing. The job of any language teacher is to encourage the students to take an active role in these three activities, while making them feel comfortable enough to take the risk that all great works had to take and a depth they can grasp. Grammar will fall into place if you give the students a need. English instructors have only about 100 hours with the students in two classes so we must lean on each other to ensure students learn how to write well.

Sign In to comment