Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding learning styles

I was really interested in this module because It will not only help me with the on-line course but with my classes I teach at the college. Pointers on how to bring in students into the conversation and group participation is a great way of assisting shy student to feel that they are involved and important. Assigning threaded discussions on-line as a grade makes the students get involved even if they want to make a good grade. I feel that I learned a lot of great ways to manage my on-line classes in this course.

Becky, I must agree. While reading about different learning styles, I visualized certain students. Now I know how to engage those students into the learning environment. I have been an online student and in certain classes there were student who dominated the class environment at times.

As I went through the part of the module on learning styles, only Avoidant, Competitive, and Dependent were described. Is there not a description of Collaborative, Participant, and Independent?

Bonnie:
I will review the lietrature again on Learning Styles and see if new categories have been added. My inclination would be that the group of traits will be the opposite, as the categories you have mentioned are the opposites to the ones covered in the module.
Satrohan

All six are in the same list in the module, but only the first 3 have a definition.

There is a great deal of literature out there on different learning styles based on research done by different individuals. I always find that seeing new information in this area a benefit to my teaching toolbox. I am sure we can all relate to each type of behavior listed.

I would suggest that because it was mentioned and piqued our curiosity that the bottom 3 listed also be define, in brief form. This will allow us to learn more from this online course.

Toni:
I will consider your recommendation. Thank you for your suggestion.
Satrohan

Understanding the learning styles is the easy part. Identify the styles of the individual student is where I find difficulty. I initially share the various styles and then ask each student to identify the one that best suits them. I then make a conscious effort to ensure that I personalize the session in away that each style is touched on. I find that an individual may feel they respond well to a certain style, but in reality it is quite the opposite. Many times they fair better in a style that is uncovered during the actual session. It really is trail and error and being flexible to meet the needs of the individual.

Shawnte:
Thank you for sharing your experience in this area with us. Is this your experience in the classroom; or is it your experience when teaching online?

Question
Based on your experience, do you believe there is a risk of focusing too much effort in understanding and engaging learning styles to th point that the remaining roles we are obligated to provide as Instructors suffer?

I totally agree. You have to acknowledge the students by their names. Giving examples with their name in place. I do this quite often and it works.

When you let them know that participation is part of their grade they get involved.

I knew I had different type of learners in my class.
It makes sense to me now.
Students can have a combination of learning styles.

Sign In to comment