Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Skill Survey as Part of Enrollment Process

We're a private trade school, so as part of our online enrollment process, our students fill out a series of skill surveys. This gives a good foundational background on our students before they even begin the program. We've found that this really helps -- when the student starts the program, we already know their skills, attributes, qualifications, previous professional experience and their career goals. The students seem to feel more engaged since we've refined this process, and more open to conversing with the online instructors. It also gives us a chance to help them create their resumes, if they have a need.

Arzu:
Thank you fo sharing the positive results of administering entry-level skills surveys.
Satrohan

I appreciate your feedback. We knew that the skill surveys would be helpful, but we had no idea that they would have such a big impact on our program. It helped us raise the level and the quality of interaction between our online students and their instructors.

Gary I feel that a skills survey should be part of the enrollment process, It would avoid the student that get discouraged and then talk about it to other student and then spreading the negitive to other areas of the college. I noticed this more every quarter.

Azru, I think that it is great that your school does a skill survey. This helps a student choose a major fitting for his or her skill set. I teach dental assisting and I do not need students who are afraid of blood in class. The skill survey would help deplete this issue and increase retention.

Laletrice:
You have taken the Skills Survey beyond assessing computer literacy; and rightfully so. Identifying critical attributes to success as they pertain to achieving the intended learning outcomes in the course upfront will definitley reduce attrition.
Satrohan

I think the skill survey will also assist the instructor in knowing any learning curves a student may have. We have noticed that some of our in classroom students have difficulties with email programs, but were able to pin point those students by requiring them to respond to test emails. By doing a skill survey for the online students, we know who may have some difficulties and prepare the instructor for knowing who may need more technical assistance in completing the courses.

Michelle:
Computer literacy skill surveys will certainly highlight specific areas in which some students may need technical assistance. I suggest that we take themeasures to fill the skill gaps before students begin the course. What do you think?
Satrohan

Sign In to comment