Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Feelings isolated

Sometimes it feels like you are on an island as a teacher

barriers to online learning

Lack of face to face interaction

How do you address disruptive communication in discussion forums?

One of the challenges I face with on-line learning is how to handle personal, disruptive communication, as well as negativity in discussion forums.  How do you as an instructor address this issue?

Patterns

What is your pattern of teaching?

Dynamic syllabus updates during a current session?

The statement that was suggested to place on the syllabus: "This dynamic syllabus is updated and expanded with greater detail as each module is made available. Please check the dynamic syllabus often to stay current with all updates."

This statement suggests that changes can be made during a current course. 

My understanding is that a syllabus should not be modified during a current course session but can be modified, revised, or updated for the next session. These modifications are based on new evidence as well as feedback from faculty and students. 

Can changes to a syllabus be made during a… >>>

Hybrid Course

How to incorporate active learning in Hybrid courses successfully ?

Chuncking

I learned about learning objectives and chuncking

Developing an online course

I want my learning objectives to be interactive and able to use them in all classes.  If there are any suggestions on interactive activities please let me know.  I am using practice quizzes, study guides to complete, and Discussion boards (I have posted a case study that the group could discuss on the discussion board)

Hybrid Course

I am teaching the hybrid course first time, I found its challenging to engage students both in-person and online. 

Juan Carlos Garcia

I am a new instructor but I tell you that I am passionate about teaching, and I see that this space is very useful for that objective since I did not allow this work to be professionalized, and add to that the contributions that the team presents that further enrich the objective pursued by the course.
I tell you one of my strategies as a teacher is to empower my students to create a scenario of proactivity and transfer them to an environment where knowledge is the core of our talk. In that sense, my question is. How important is… >>>

New Online Instructor

I'm a Medical Billing Coder online instructor, what would be a nice icebreaker to engage my student. Do any of my teammates have a suggestion?

Active Learning

Active learning processes provide  opportunities for the learner and the instructor/teacher to learn new information, stay current with information, and think less subjectively. AL empowers students because they are engaged. However, at times I have heard students say in a negative way that they didn't pay tuition to teach themselves. Therefore, it is imperative to explain to students how and why AL activities are a benefit to the student and not an abdication of the teacher's responsibility to instruct.  It is important to have course structure that details the expectations of the projects, discussions, due dates etc.  

What I learned regarding being consistent.

I found that it is important to be consistent in how my format is laid out.

This will allow the student learner to find the information easier. The student will develop a sense of what the instructor expects of them. I will also provide confidence in the students learning. The student's anxiety will be decreased related to fear of the unknown, they understand what needs to be done and where to find the information.

Clear understanding of what's being conveyed.

I find it happening more often than not.

Is the information clear to the student or was the message misunderstood?

Learning that sometimes what you have intended for the learner to know may not always be what they get.

It is my responsibility as the instructor to make sure that I have given the information I want the learner to know and understand.

Choosing the proper tools for online learning is essential.

In this study session EL104, it was important to understand that your choice of proper learning tools is important with online learning. Feedback from the students is necessary to facilitate what works for each learner. 

What I learned

Online learning creates an opportunity for the student to master the topic and learn to problem-solve within its context only if the instructor can design active learning strategies and learn to be a coach instead of the "sage on the stage."

What I learn in online syllabus

It is important to create a syllabus that is dynamic and interactive for the students.

It is necessary for the student to take ownership of the course independently feel a part of the community before they will want to provide interactive feedback.

It is important for the student to provide feedback to help the instructor create the best course they can meet the needs of the students and their learning.

Creating a module for effective learning

The takeaway from EL103 was that it is important to be consistent with the layout presented to the students in each module.

The use of color-coding text will help to que students that the information is important and/or will be a test question. When using video, photo and or any other tool to teach make sure that the students understand how to navigate the though the module. It is also important to create modules that can reach each learning style. Be sure that the students are not getting frustrated with the module because they are not coordinated with the information… >>>

Students who just don't want to be active online

How can I present the importance of class participation without causing a conflict or offensive.

In EL102 Quiz 2, Question #5 says send note to student within 1 week- but text says 1st day

I ran across a discrepancy in the text, vs. the quiz.  In  EL102 Quiz 2, Question #5 says send welcome note to student within 1 week- but text says to do it the 1st day