Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Current Events as an ancillary forum

In my communication course there are numerous opportunities to make practical allpications to current events. For example, almost everyone has an opinion about the presidential election (either a favorite candidate or the process itself)... Students suddenly realize that the theoretical constructs have become concrete, and that their discussions and arguments are more cogent than before they took the course. It's a great opportunity for "aha!" moments...

Johnny:
Posting aditionbal questions on current events is definitley encouraged, as it provides another opportunity for students to apply their knowledge and skills to analyze, evaluate, or offer their opinions in an new area.

You may want to announce this new addition to the Discussion to the students, so that they address the forum in a timely mannner.
Satrohan

Depending on where you are in the program... Some students may be lost if this is a new career class and have no knowledge of the subject.

Jon:
Your observation can be a very rare occurence. I am inclined to believe that Instrucotrs will introduce " Current Events" that are relevant to the course themes. They will be very selective in what they share as well as the kinds of inputs they seek from students.

Please share with us under what circumstances an Instructor will seek students' inputs on a "Current Event" about which they have no knowledge to form the basis for a response.
Satrohan

Good point. This certainly can work in the right context. Teaching world geography I have lots of chances to bring current events in, and can work it into other courses too. For example, my environmental science classes provide discussion points for news items, not just on issues like toxic spills, but from alternative energy we go into oil prices--which leads into international affairs, useless wars, and economic trends. It is harder in something like algebra, which I also teach, but even here there are teachable moments (usually through economic news, or I can discuss how understanding numbers makes critical thinking easier).

The one thing I find difficult with all this is that many students KNOW NOTHING about either international affairs or current events. It's hard to discuss oil prices without a whole background in the history of the industry, but I can throw that into a lecture. Obviously doing this online would be more difficult, but links to interesting articles is a possible way to do it.

Also, often one or two will bring their experiences in and that helps a lot--talking about Africa I get somebody who is a Liberian or Somali refugee and shares the horror they went through, or in discussing the Middle East someone may have been in the Army there. These relationships to others in the class help a lot.

Great idea. This is a great way for students to learn about each other and for instructors to see what the students knowledge is. Great opportunity to teach a little extra without students even realizing it.

Having students get to know each other as well as getting a little extra learning in is a great technique. Thanks for your contribution Alicia.

I like the idea of doing that type of discussion because it may generate a more light hearted discussion and could prove helpful if a learner is experiencing a writing block for the assigned topic.

Sign In to comment