Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

How would you effectively make suggestions when students are constantly working behind schedule?

Reminding the students as a classthat there are points lost for every assignment that is submitted late and how this would impact your final grade if work is constantly being turned in late.. 

No questions

No questions needed.  Text was well delivered.

The Nature of the Course

Even though we bring with us extensive knowledge of the subject matter being addressed in the course, it is extremely important for me to comprehend the nature of the course content then present it to the students.

Accountability

The level of accountability is just the same as it would be if we were in a classroom. As a teacher I need to feel comfortable with the CMS we utilize in addition to creating norms around how students use it.

Technology is my strength, so I will spend more time on creating course content that is engaging and challenging.

Rubic

Ive never used a rubic.What is it?

Conflict resolution

Have anyone encounter conflict/s arising while in e-learning environment? Conflicts that has escalated to the pont where senior administrators of the institution/legal representatives has to intervene? Please share.

how can i retake the exam

question: academic integrity

What are some ways to effective methods topromote academic integrity in an on line clsss. 

Instructor Fairness in an Online Learning Environment

How can an Instructor ensure fairness to all in an online learning environment and increase students' perception of the fairness?

Engaging Students Early

A typical process for effective teaching is to build relationships with students at the beginning of the school year. As we expect to not be with them in a physical sense; building strong student/teacher relationship through early (and through multi-media) is a concern. Please offer suggestions. 

Does a "dynamic" syllabus violate the "contract" aspect of a traditional syllabus?

I was always taught that a course syllabus was a contract between a professor and a student.  A dynamic syllabus sounds like a make-it-up-as-you-go-along kind of contract, which is very unsettling from a student perspective.  Making it linkable is great, but also just a fancy version of a 3-4 page document.  I completely disagree that assignments should be thought of as dynamic or changable as we go along...  A contract is a contract.

Teaching online

I learned tha providing imformative timely feedback is most important in online course. As facilitator we have to be careful of words tht are used to communicating with students.

Technology tools

During this pandemic was perfect example of instructor finding the perfect tool to used, especially in those classes that were never online. I can image it was hard for some professors adjusting jto the change.

Behavior management

I have learned new ways to deal with different types of learners. Learners have to understand they have a professional commitment and have to maintain certain standards in order to achieve their goals.

online teaching

One of the most effective ways to begin building an e-learning community is to ask students to post their bio along with the professor posting her. The student lean about each other and their professor and this will help the student feel they belong and not just speaking to the computer screen.

Noisy Student

How do you deal with a noisy student?

Do you think that an instructor who is very successful in a traditional classroom will automatically be a successful instructor for an on-line class?

I think an instructor who is phenomenal in a traditional classroom doesn't necessarily guarantee that this instructor will be a successful on-line instructor.  Knowing the subject matter forwards and backwards does not always mean that the instructor can manipulate the different ways that an on-line class is presented.

Chat Sessions

I hold weekly chat sessions but since they are not mandatory the participation is minimal. What strategies are being used to get more students to paraticipate in voluntary chats?

A PRESENT PRESENCE

I have learned that being present on line teaching is important to the student. To help them feel your presence, to be a real person on line. It is not easy but with a little creativity it is possible. Students love stories of real life experiences in the field. And they want to know we can understand also the difficulties of attending classes in the midst of personal dificulties and how we endured when we attended classes. We have to be real to the student.   

Assessment Tools

I learned how important Rubrics are in assessing the students work. I think the main thing is do not just through out a topic but make it something that definetly fits the class and the material that has been covered and something the student can use in their field of study. Another is it is important to give feedback that may be helpful for when they may do another for another instructor especially if their work was not done correctly. We want the student to have a positive outcome from this process and nota one they learn to dread.