Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Chat Sessions

I hold weekly chat sessions but since they are not mandatory the participation is minimal. What strategies are being used to get more students to paraticipate in voluntary chats?

A PRESENT PRESENCE

I have learned that being present on line teaching is important to the student. To help them feel your presence, to be a real person on line. It is not easy but with a little creativity it is possible. Students love stories of real life experiences in the field. And they want to know we can understand also the difficulties of attending classes in the midst of personal dificulties and how we endured when we attended classes. We have to be real to the student.   

Assessment Tools

I learned how important Rubrics are in assessing the students work. I think the main thing is do not just through out a topic but make it something that definetly fits the class and the material that has been covered and something the student can use in their field of study. Another is it is important to give feedback that may be helpful for when they may do another for another instructor especially if their work was not done correctly. We want the student to have a positive outcome from this process and nota one they learn to dread.

Summative versus Formative Assessments

As a US History instructor, I tend to lean most heavily on summative assessments in my online courses. I use quizzes and exams to assess my students' comprehension and their ability to apply historical learned content to well-crafted written essays. I would also like to employ formative assessments within my courses but believe that might "overload" my students' assessment requirements. Can students handle an array of formative assessments along with summative assessments??

Online course availability

I have noticed while teaching online it is an enviroment that many students are not accustomed with.The enviironment in order to be successful the instructor must participate, guide, present guidelines, and give constructive feedback in a TIMELY mammer

Higher Interaction with points

Some assignments may not require any points.  Shoud I give points just for reading, for example, the syllabus?

Video Clips are the Best

Now that we have taught for a couple of months online during the pandemic, I disagree with this answer.  It does help because the students can view a clip more than one time for meaning but, online meetings are better for knowing the students really understand the information.

Teacher problems with e-learning?

What problems if any instructors had with e-learning from a teachers standpoint?

The soft skills

I'm truly apprecieative of this learning oppurtuity that's being provided by CTE.

I'll do my best to incorporate the soft skills in all of my online coureses.

discussion forums

I am currently training to be an online instructor and I am wondering if some of you could share your methods of engaging the students that do not normally contribute in the discussion forums.  There all always quiet students in the classroom that are harder to engage but I would think it would be even more difficult online.  I am just hoping to get some thoughts on this from more experienced online instructors.

student engagement

I would love to here how you keep the students engaged in online courses and what you do to reach each student individually.

Online course

Online courses are developed with a variety os factors that help the student reach success. They are graded differently than an face to face class. They do determine if the student is understanding the subject matter. With the rubies involved it is a well designed course.

New to online teaching

What has anyone found to be the stuggle that most students have with oneline learning?

Create your own content or share existing content?

I am new to teaching HS and teach Welding. I have been in the industry for 40 years but have so much to learn about teaching. Any comments are welcome. 

I am trying to decide between using/purchasing existing content from a book publisher or creating some of my own. I have had students tell me that they prefer hearing/seeing me as opposed to some of the "machine voice" content that is out there. 

One of the publishers packages does allow for quite a bit of additional information to be added and that is what I am learning towards. That… >>>

Tech Tools for Math Problem Design, Please!

What current and useful tech tools exist for designing math classes, math problems, and math assessments?

How do I handle numerous discussion responses with individual answers?

I find it very difficult to come up with several individual responses to the same discussion topic question.  Does anyone else have this dilemma?

How do we address equity in online learning for K-12 students?

Just curious how others address this issue.

How to engage students in long "how to" instructional demos

I am trying to find a good way of pausing at key points in a long demo that is teaching how to accomplish something that is very technical and specific, and get them engaged in a small problem that relates to what i am teaching but doesn't pull their focus from the demo itself. It is very hard to come up with something that reinforces what we just did without becoming a distraction or interruption. 

Cheers!

Introduction

Hello, my name is Dr. Sherry Roper and I will be the course facilitator for this class. I have been in nursing education for 20+ plus years.  I have a Ph.D. from the University of TN and my MS is from Penn State. My favorite subject to teach is epidemiology.  On a personal note I am married (28 years) with 3 grown children and 2 grandchildren (a third on the way).  For fun, I enjoy hiking, bike riding, and camping.

Now that you have learned a little about me please take a few moments to tell me about you.

Welcome.… >>>

Audio Lessons

Does any instructor know of a free audio program that reads to the student?