Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The Importance of Passive Learning | Origin: EL120

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Fully Online Doesn’t Mean Inactive --> The Importance of Passive Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The Usefulness of Active Learning | Origin: EL120

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Fully Online Doesn’t Mean Inactive --> The Usefulness of Active Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Revision

As it was stated in the training course, "Your stakeholders (your students, your institution, and your teaching and professional community) will all have a different perspective on your data."  It is very true that we need to incorporate views and opinions from various groups into our revision work to close the loop. ......

Scaffolding

Eight tasks discussed in the training to ensure that students can build appropriate scaffolding related to the course learning objectives are very helpful.  It will help students to retain the information ......

Learning Objects

Creating and organizing learning objects is very effective and efficient to enrich course contents.  It also offer a great opportunity for us to update and improve ......

What Is important?

In an online learning environment, it is essential to keep course records, deal with undesirable behavior in smart ways, and minimize student sttrition.  All this will help to make online instruction effective and efficient. ......

Great Review

It is a great review of online instruction.

Learning data base

What toolds/websites/resources do you find work best when attempting to teach APRN students how to transition from their RN to APRN role?

Become Involve

Its essential to engage with other students and share skills or knowledge gained in the course 

Read the Syllabus!

How do I get the students to read the syllabus?

sharing information

how do we share techniques to help each other more 

Developing a Wiki

I have a question on how to develop a Wiki.  I understand what it is but not sure how to get started. Thanks

Course Syllabus

Is there any situation where the syllabus may be too long for good classroom learning?

Student Types

I really enjoyed this section. The descriptions of the student personality types were spot-on! Anyone who has taught online for at least a few classes has likely experienced each one of these types of students at some point. 

Asynchronous Learning and Small Classes

This section was interesting, although I have found that smaller classes work better than bigger ones, contrary to what was stated here. Smaller classes work more like homeschooling (one-on-one effectiveness) so, while they might be quieter, they certainly have value. I am mostly a fan of asynchronous rather than synchronous education. Allowing everyone to make their own hours offers tremendous freedom that could be the deciding factor in having someone enroll in the school. 

Wonderful Advice!

This section was excellent! I loved the advice about telling students about both your academic degrees and your hobbies. By mixing your credentials with your interests, you allow students to get to know you a bit more while also feeling secure that you know what you are doing. 

Great Overview!

I thought this was an excellent overview of online learning, although I think this course is best suited for new teachers rather than those who are already used to teaching online. 

Indignant Defense of my Incorrect Answer to the question of Stakeholders

Sorry for the clickbait headline. In the quiz there was a question with the correct answer that Advisors are not course stakeholders.

However, in CTE, our advisory council is an active part of our curriclulm development and course evaluation. They help us maintain course relevance and ensure student success in the industry.

group active learning

How , in a group activity, do you keep some students in a group from slacking in their defined role and duties in the group? In teaching f2f, group projects are at times challenging as some students participation is minimal or abent at all- thanks-Jay

opinion

Students must buy and be committed in for online to be effective.