Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubic

Ive never used a rubic.What is it?

I always use a rubric for all and each one of my Online classes. The rubric I believe is very important for the following reasons:

1. Keeps students aware of class assignment requirements.

2. The fewer conserns and questions from the students the better the learning process

3. The rubric provides clarity in the points and grading process.

Thank you for asking also - I had never heard the term, except in front of the word 'cube" (ha ha). Coming from a tradesman background, teaching terms are new to me, I had to Google it.  I like Warren's pointers, to help set the ground rules first so the students can focus on the materials, instead of the process. Getting hands on knowledge into a teachable format - that's quite the cross-training.  

A rubric is a tool that can be used to clearly articulate expectations for a given assignment and what are the metrics for a various grade.  They are best used for assignments where there may not be one set answer, and where subjectivity can come into play in the grading. It helps the student to focus on what the instructor deems important to the assignment, clarifys what the instructor is looking for in passign thru excellence, and helps to keep the instructor honest and fair as well.  For example in an essay, a grade may be based on a combination of a number of categories, and then how well a learner does in each category. Let's say the categories are:

1. Spelling and grammar

2. Essay thesis

3. Organization and readability

4. documentation and footnotiong

Then each category wold be weighted to a degree (in this case, out of 100):

1. Spelling and grammar.  20 points

2. Essay thesis.  20 points

3. Organization and readability.  45 points

4. documentation and footnotiong.  15 points

Then an instructor would characterize what would qualify for each number of points (I'll just use item 1 here):

1. Spelling and grammar.  20 points

- 20 points, no identified spelling or grammar errorrs.

- one point off for each identified spelling or grammar error.

And so on for each category...

Sign In to comment