Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great ideas for MT

All the games are great ideas for teaching Medical Term. I like all the ball games. Sounded like fun.

Beth, you can also use any ball game you currently enjoy, married to content of course.

When doing Med. Term--I have 2 rows with possible even number of students on each side. I verbalize the MT word--and one person from each row has to run tothe white board and write the answer. Its lot of running--but lvoe to see them out of breath to get the answer and the winners--well I pass out treats! and yes treats are given to the losing team, too.

The running and the rewarding each team is the secret to your students learning and being actively engaged in the process. This is an excellent idea, thank you for sharing it.

Patricia,
I really like your idea. I'm going to try this with my next Med Term class. Thanks for sharing.

I put students in groups with a bell. Then I hold up flash cards and the first group to hit the bell gets to answer. It gets kind of crazy, but it is fun and the students seem to enjoy the game.

This idea makes learning competitive, which appears to be fun and engaging...and it is!

I like to play hangman or "Learnsmart" from McGraw-Hill.

Kathleen, I like the activities that come with the textbooks as well. They are easy to access and already have been created by someone else, so it cuts my prep time.

I like to play word-part bingo, jeapordy, and scrabble with medical terms. The entire class always seems to enjoy the activities

I have used a scrabble type game myself and have found it successful.

I use a password type game. Write the MT word on the board with 1 team member facing away from the board Then the rest of the team has to use medical words, definitions learned from class are the top preference. The students get really competitive and involved.

I would play a game like that as well..or I would have 2 rows of students and I give a definition and each person in front of each other would go race to the board and write the correct word. But if they did not know the student would pass the marker to the person behind them would race for correct word...it was fun, laughing, cheering, and the winning team recieved candy, but actually everyone received candy for participation..we would laugh so much...it made my day awesome

Patricia, thanks for sharing your positive results as well as your idea.

Melissa, this is a great strategy for teaching, too. Thank you for telling us about it so we can try it.

no problem...I think that is what we do asInstructors and fellow workers: we help each other to find innovative methods to teach students. I don't mind sharing any ideas if it helps. I believe in teamwork/teamplaying especially in the medical field.

One thing I used to do was give each student a Medical Term nick name to use while in class. I try to pick term names associated with their names. for example Brandy would become brady.Janice would become Jaundice.... It takes some creative think to come up with names but this usually gets them to remember certain terms.

With the right students, this sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing this great idea.

I have used scrabble also in my term class. I'm going to introduce jeopardy in my classroom on Monday.

I also use the jeopardy game for the review for the final exam. The students really enjoy it and everyone gets rewarded with remembering the terms as well as a pencil or piece of candy before they leave class.

Sign In to comment