Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Activity after each new topic taught

I generally do some activity like play a game, ask them question on the topic or give them some worksheet to do after new topic. This way I keep them engaged and the students don't sleep in the class. Some of them have a very short span of learning and changing activities keep them alert and they are keen to know what is going to come next. This way the class is not very monotonous.

I like to have the students volunteer to come up to the board and write or draw anything they remember from the lecture or the power point. I remind them there are class participation points for doing this. Most do but there are always a few that don't.

Jumana, mixing things up is the only way to reengage students who have short attention spans. Vareity is the key.

We can offer opportunities, but can't force people to participate, that must be their decision. It is also their responsibililty to learn, we can't force them.

I have not tried these particular activities stated in this module, however I find that Med Term Bingo is always a good activity to use as a refresher for previous lessons. I have also used flash cards with various word parts listed, and had the students to create as many medical terms as possible, and awarded a prize to the top students.

Med term bingo is a great reinforcing strategy as well as flash cards. As long as it is low anxiety for the students, or fun for them, they will remember the words.

Hi, I also have students go up to the board and label anatomy stuctures and state the function. Not only did they hear a lecture on the subject, but received label color handouts.This plays a part in peer tutoring.If the student does not remember a name to a structure they have the option of calling on another student to come up and help them.

Getting the students to work collaboratively is a very important instructor role.

I like doing these activities at the end of each class day. It gives a nice review, plus the opportunity for the students to get vocal and explain something in a different way. Plus, there are often students who aren't new to medicine and have experiences or education to share with the group.

I like the idea of having students come to the board and label a structure. I often give diagrams as extra credit for the visual learners but this idea offers class involvement. I am not very artistic so maybe a talented student could draw the structure as well as label it.

Drawing and labeling the structures is also an active approach.

Activities that involve action and a break are critical when Med Term is a four hour class! Love these new ideas.

Sign In to comment