Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Medical Terminology

I have used scenarios for meaning of words and looked up the word in front of the class on my power point chats

Tammy, learners like to get involved and it sounds like you have that as part of your teaching process. I hope this course gave you some more ideas you can add to that.

When teaching anatomy and physiology there are many opportunities to pull terminology into the lecture - breaking words down, making more terms using prefixes and suffixes, etc. I see lightbulbs going off a lot when I do this with my classes.

I have done this is class also and use the Medical journal articles to identify with the current terminlogy in a actual paragraph.

When learning word parts I have the student think of a common term that may contain the word part. An example would be -rrhea once people think of the common term such as diarrhea they usually don't forget it as abnormal flow.

Tying the word part to something familiar is a way to increase the confidence students feel in learning terminology course. Keep up the good work!

I have done this too. The students seen to like it if you play games. They tend to do better on the test or quizes too.

Jacci Brown

I have experienced the same and even more so when repitition is involved

I've got a group activity that I usually do the first day of my class, I pass a worksheet to each group that has medical definitions on it. Each group also gets a stack of index cards. Each index card has a different word part & its definition on it. The students are told to find the word parts that go with each definition & then use the rules we discussed in class to combine the parts and make a whole word out of them.

Any time you get the students involved in learning the better they will do and remember the material.

Students love the fact when using the powerpoint games, it gets the adrenaline going.

It also keeps the students engaged and thinking.

I encourage my students to associate the medical term with something in their lives, that way they will be more apt to remember the medical term.

I agree, whether the student is young or old, from different backgrounds, once they get involved in playing games in class that's related to their learning, they seem to take the inital step in trying to do better on their exams. Games seem to help them see that the subject is not as boring as they thought and the terms are not that hard to understand.

Games can mask with fun that learning is occurring.

Medical Terminology is the basis for all medical professionals, one must have a working knowledge of each word in order to understand its meaning.

I agree A & P can't be taught without medical terminiology. The usage of games and puzzles reinforces the learning experience

I've decided my classroom into teams and tested their prefixes and suffixes. It was fun and they learned sooooooooo much.

later on if there is another class where there might be a new medical term they haven't quite figured out, they love the challenge to figure it out.

Agree that games motivate the learner to progress in a fun environment.

Dorothy, I agree with your observation here.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment