Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Clinical Setting Teaching Tools | Origin: ED311

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creative Teaching Tools in Clinical and Didactic Courses --> Clinical Setting Teaching Tools

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I like several ideas here egs include the event cards to provide quick critical thinking skills , creating and using gestures having meaning to you and the students, and my favorite was using the Dots to track your sudents progress for the day.

I like several ideas here egs include the event cards to provide quick critical thinking skills , creating and using gestures having meaning to you and the students, and my favorite was using the Dots to track your sudents progress for the day

great course

Nonverbal cues during clinical rotations are a great idea not to cause concerns in patients or embarrass your student if they need to be redirected.

Nice Review Of Information.

Once again I am delighted to have new tools to assist me in becoming a better lab and clinical instructor!

More fantastic ideas that I can use with our clinical students! I will definitely utilize the dots on their watches technique when this opportunity presents itself. 

I teach three non-IBC courses, but I want to be able to support the IBC courses.  I can see how it may be possible for me to apply some of these strategies to teach Pathophysiology, Medical Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology by adapting the strategies to monitor progress (progress bingo instead of patient bingo) and event cards (scenarios) to make sure my students are always thinking in real-world contexts that will help them to pass the certification tests.

I learned many effective stratagies to engage students in the clinical areas

This course has many valuable teaching skills for clinical environment 

I really like the dot on the watch strategy.  It can be difficult to keep tabs on multiple students in a clinical setting.  I also like the idea of hand gestures.

I was thinking of how I would keep track of the student's skill level.  Using the dots I feel is a great idea in a clinical setting.  

This presents great methods for monitoring students in the clinical settinfg, but also allows the students to keep track of the expectations. 

I want to establish some non-verbal cues for electronic engineering technicians that work in and out of patient rooms. Talking aloud and mentioning that something may be wrong with a piece of medical equipment can alarm a patient. Hand gestures can eliminate that slip-up and prevent patients panicking. 

This was a great idea and I can't believe I hadn't thought of using it. 

I liked a lot of the teaching skills outlined in this module. I like the Dot on the Watch the best because I have a large lab class and I can not be with all of them at the same time. This will also reinforce them to bring in their watch which they oftem forget.

This course has taught me different ways to improve teaching practices and skills in the clinical setting. I love the clinical flash card idea. These cards offer quick critical-thinking scenarios that the instructor can present to a student in a clinical area/job location when the day is not as active as you would have hoped.  These cards can be kept in the pocket of the instructor and presented to the student between times of doing work-related tasks

Great suggestions to implement in the clinical setting.

I like the idea best for using hand gestures to communicate with students... particularly with Foundations students since they are not in the habbit of hand hygiene yet. 

I like the idea of the dots to make sure students are meeting goals

Sign In to comment