Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating Long-Term Memory | Origin: ED310

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Medical Terminology in Fun and Exciting Ways --> Creating Long-Term Memory

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It is really important that the students learn during a lecture and not just endure it.

It takes 6 exposures to information/concepts to have 90% retention.  Reinforces the importance of teaching content using multiple methods.

From this unit I learned that six repetitions must occur for learning to move from the short term to long term memory. I always thought it was three times of repetition so I will be sure to incorporate this extra review to have better information retention in my class. I will also try to create learning segments of 10-20 minutes to ensure productivity and active participation.

It's important to learn the signs of student fatigue and to engage them with active learning concepts. 

I thought it was very interesting that it takes 6 times of learning something to really know and retain it 90% after 30 days.

I have seen all those signs (which I did not know had unique names) not only in myself as a student but in my students too!
Interactive activities do engage the learner and we, as instructors, need to be more creative in our classroom. This is a challenge for me but one I am willing to continue to take on.

Speed of speech is much slower than the speed of thought-- which means if you don't actively engage students their mind will wander. Makes so much sense! 

Great review of increasing student learning and retention.

That most people need to see and hear something 6 times before committing it to memory!  

Emotions go to long term memory, experiences that do not involve emotions are forgotten, Provide variety and focus on the learner.  80% of the average population are visual learners

Create a active learning atmosphere.

I have learned from this module is that if we have a positive, memorable link with our peers if we engage and become interested in each other (bonding).

Excellent lesson on how to create an active learning enviornment for all.

Lecturing is an ongoing learing process. I never really thought about how fast I talk. I have been told by students but when I saw how many words should be in a minute that make a lot of sense.

In this module, I learned that one of the essential skills of a successful instructor is the ability to reengage the learner at intervals. There is also 90% retention of the information learned if there 6 exposures within 30 day period.  

I learned that I should use more activities, teams in class, To use review from students to gauge their learning

You need to be exposed to something 6 times before really remembering it. I find my medical terminology class to be effective as far as what the students learn, but I really want it to be more activity-based and less lecture-based. I have used Kahoots for reviews, Quizlets, and case studies but would like suggestions for more interactive lessons. Hoping to learn more throughout this PD. 

Medical terminology is one that a student will value and hold throughout their career and lifetime. I am very interested in what this course has to offer to educators...

It is exciting to know how presenting the same content in six different way help learners retain 90% of information over 30 days, leading to a more substantial building block of knowledge.   

Sign In to comment