Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Operationalizing Educational Theory in Your Classes | Origin: ED312

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching to the Learning Styles of Allied Health Students --> Operationalizing Educational Theory in Your Classes

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Every student is an individual on their own which you must be able to recognize the differences in their learning abilities.

Using a string and signs is a way to engage learners kinesthetically. For library instruction, this can be done for the parts of an APA reference (e.g. author. date. title) or a structured abstract (purpose. method. results. conclusion). 

I like the idea of an embedded code word in the readings that can be spoken to the teacher the next time class is given. I think this will encourage students to carefully read the text rather than just skimming content.

I like the loner ideas for those students a journal or a month at a glance caledar what they can focus on.Meeting with them to review is helpful.

I now have an understanding of multiple intelligences and will be better informed so that I can provide a good lab and clinical experience for the students.  

Having key words in the handout / material is a great tool to use to encourage students to read assignments and be prepared for the next class

My personal experiences can be impactful

This module, about the different types of learners was interesting.  It makes some great suggestions.  I think there are a number of ways to implement some of the Ideas.  I thought "touchy" was maybe a bit more difficult to engage in the current pandemic, But maybe I could have students make flash cards, ie something to hold with the information I am attempting to teach.

There are a number of ways I could create compare and contrast type projects, or responses.   

Each student learns in a specific way. It is the job of the instructor to provide an educational process for each student. One size does NOT fit all. 

The loner's Personality supports her learning style..  The instructor's honoring of the student's learning style, normalizing the student's strengths, provides a good environment to enhance this student's learning and confidence in how she learns.

I have learned that the traditional way of teaching is outdated and not beneficia for today's students. Instuctors need to engage all of their students and pay close attention to the different learning needs of each student. Instructors that engage different activities in the learning environment will keep all students engaged. Keeping students engaged helps with retention. 

Learnt that they are different kinds of learners, and on has to teach to include all of them.

I have learned that learning is individualized and unique for students.  Teachers must take into account who their students are individually and their learning needs to be successful.

"Treasure" search in the reading and how stories meet multiple frames of mind

Students learn by incorporating learning skills, such as; tactile, audio, and visual.

Therefore, as an educator we must build our lesson plans to incorporate lessons

that allow our students' to use their preferred learning skills and/or incoporate all three.

Learning different ways to teach different types of "learners" There is not a one size fits all approach in education!

Sharing my stories, gives students perspective.

Jabber, Touchy, Integer, and Loner, introduce us to different kinds of student learning styles. An effective teacher needs to understand the characteristics of each of them so that s/he can help them learn. 

As I develop a working relationship with those seeking a career in the health care professions I'll carefully consider which types of learners I have before me and address their needs as necessary

Sign In to comment