Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Incorporating Ethics teaching with computer skills education.

Ethics should be taught as a critical and integral component of computer skills. Comparing this with the option of teaching ethics separately leaves the door open for students to disconnect or not associate the importance of ethics in the learning they are currently engaged in unless it is injected into the curriculum. Presenting ethics as necessary and in fact re-iterating that ethics and business go hand in hand prepares the student for greater success in the work force. It also allows them to recognize unethical practices that they might encounter as well once they enter the workforce. Ethical practices are the cornerstone of any work practice and need to be presented as such as often as possible. This should help keep it prevalent in the student's mind and move him towards reflexively making ethical decisions and actions in the future.

Bob,
I like this! Ethics and business do go hand in hand!!

Shelly Crider

With access to an increasing number of software programs, apps, and electronic devices for use in productivity and communication, it is essential that we hold open conversations with our students. I often use stories from current news events and student-experienced scenarios as realistic "story starters" to which students can more easily relate. I use open-ended questions to help students dig deep into each conversation.

Deborah,
Love your "story starter" idea. It is one thing to read a book, but another to really look at today's society and how it will effect the career we have chosen.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment