Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of Writing

I agree that writing is a skill that needs polished and nurtured throughout ones profession. I am challenged by the issue of plagiarizing on occasion and always find this disappointing and awkward to address. I appreciate the sequence of a writing assignment in regards to offering the student support.

Lisa,
Even using pictures and items from the Internet will need cited on some.

Shelly Crider

In this age of email and texting the art of good letter writing and composition is becoming a lost art. teaching writing and communication is essential to help students succeed, without knowledge of professional communication (outside email) you will not succeed.

Richele,
Yes, so many people will write text style and that is a big no no!

Shelly Crider

Currently I teach a working clinic floor, but the ideas presented in this lesson i feel as if i will be able to assign lessons for presentation that will infact advance their clinet based professional skills, and hopefully give me a firmer grasp on their overall knowledge of the technical skills they are developing every day.

Kaitlin,
It is good to have a way of understanding the knowledge of the student.

Shelly Crider

As a project orientated design instructor, assigning a written
'raison d'etre' for each project is very important. Students working almost entirely with the right side of the brain, need to develop the left also. Examples of writing styles are shown prior to assignments, strict deadlines are scheduled, and presentations are made to the class when projects are submitted. The student presentations include reading the submitted project descriptions, and fielding questions after the presentations. Everyone needs practice in these areas.

James,
Showing writing styles is an excellent way of showing students what you are looking for and more about the style itself.

Shelly Crider

I teach a remedial English class, and writing is always the most dreaded part of the course according to my students. I try to drive home the importance of being able to write effectively regardless of their course of study. In this age of self-evaluation and email in the workplace, it is essential to be able to express themselves correctly to maintain a professional appearance. The point that seems to hit home the most for my students is the letter of recommendation. I ask them how they would like it if they asked a colleague for a letter of recommendation, and it was full of sentence fragments, spelling mistakes, and serious grammatical errors to the point where the letter makes no sense. Also, I find that it benefits the students to do a "think-pair-share" exercise, where they can sound out their ideas on a partner and help each other write the assignment in class.

Sign In to comment