Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

negative feedback

What are some ways/methods used to give constructive negative feedback?

Practice, a key to fostering oral presentations

What makes a good athlete? Artist? Is it not practice? When we watch the Olympics or attend a concert, we are viewing the final product but often forget that it took hours, days, months, and/or years of practice to become proficient in the discipline. The same may be said, especially students in introductory oral communication courses, of becoming excellent speakers. It is practice,practice, practice!

Bringing your professional expereince into the classroom

How important is it to bring your professional expereince to the classroom? I have found that my industry experience in communications, ethics, policy, politics, organiztion of work and time management was well received by many students.

Soft Skills?

Some more than not as i went through this course i was already using them. The average students i think look at their instructor as being above them-knowlege as well as motivating them. The soft skills bring that seperation closer and makes the studnets more comfortable in the whole enviroment of our classes. Example: (if your hungry are you as focused as you would be if your not?) So, i think the more obstruction we remove the easier we can motivate them into usng these soft skills, sometimes without even realizing them.

How often is EQ used in the real world?

As I took this course. It dawn on me, how often we use EQ in the classeroom.

Empathy

The ability to apply empathy can make or break the rapport that we have with students. Where I have seen a challenge is the ability to empathize with the student without enabling them. It tends to be an interesting balance between doing what is right by the student and holding them accountable to the standards set for their progress. I would love to hear feedback from the group on how you balance this issue in your practice?

Learning Basics

As learning styles change and are enhanced, overall the basic learning methods are still utilzed one some shape or form. Some of these are reading whether it be electronic or paper and another is listening whether it be from a live person or audio.

Listening to your students

More times than not, listening to my students is one of the most important things to me. Discussions present themselves in the classroom more often than not, the key i think is being able to keep it relavant to the material being covered. Larger classes are sometimes better for this approach. I have been surprised at how many will get involved that otherwise would not. boring classes seem (at times) to erase themselves.

Importance of this class

Many individuals that I have worked with over the years have tried to rely on technical skills to instruct a class. I have seen many of them have issues with classes or some individuals in the class. It is very important to be able to understand soft skills and how they can effect a course. Before taking this course I kind of new what soft skills were but not to the extent I do now.

listening to students

I understand that it is an important key but let's be realistic, how can we truly listen and help students when you have to teach a big class and you only spend 2 hours with them. Most of the time i feel powerless.

ML111, leading and motivating

I have completed and enjoyed this leading and motivating course. the proof is in the pudding. however, I feel the topic even though somewhat controversal is worthwhile and will help me in developing a better understanding of how and when to take charge of a situation.

EQ vs Technical - Which do you remember?

I was relating back to my experiences as student over the years and began to think about those instructors that had the most impact on my life, or that I had fond memories about. Interestingly enough, it’s those that had high EQ. I’m not use about the technical skills, since as the student it’s hard for me to measure, though the soft skills are readily apparent. I we expect good feedback, and customer satisfaction; we need to assure this skill is present.

Positive Attitude

It's important to keep a positive attitude at all times because if students see you in a positive mood they will come into the classroom with a positive open mind ready to receive what you have for them to learn.

Teaching The Writing Process

As a teacher of writing, teaching students that writing is an actual process is an important part of my classroom. How do you teach the actual steps in the writing process to your students?

The Google

Students have the world at their fingertips. Unfortunately this is not helping their critical thinking skills. The internet is also a huge distraction.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE

I find that when I come into the class with a positive attitude the studens are better relaxed. There is no tension. they absorb the daily lesson much easier. They retain more information.

lerning style

Very well mention four learning method.I find out some of the students are good in Auditory and visual lerning and some of are kinesthetic. I saw kinesthetic become more successful in O.R and get Job, even though they are not visual and auditory lerner.

People skills

I used to think I knew what people skills were and that I had them. I have come to find through this piece, that I had a wrong definition and that the older I get, the less skills I have. I have almost become antisocial.

skills

I have always believed that having a positive attitude toward a job or school should always be positive. If you go into a new job thinking negative well you will probably fail at it. One soft skill that I believe I poses is that of being dependable. I can also be a great listener, now to trying to help that person out by giving them advice is what I lack. And is one of the things I would like to get out of this course.

learning Skills

I think it is good that instructors should be able to identidiy the learning styles of students