Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Purposes and Roles of Rubrics | Origin: EL109

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Using Rubrics to Enhance Online Learning --> Purposes and Roles of Rubrics

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The use of rubrics allows both the students and the instructors to objectivley analyze assignments.

I use rubrics in my English class for writing, but not for my lifespan class.  Not all classes can use a rubric successfully

I use rubrics often but I had no idea they varied so much.

Although the rubric will provide the student with clear expectations of the expected outcome the instructors have to be diligent in updating them prior to using with a new class to ensure it correctly reflects the current student body and expected outcomes.

We already use rubrics at my school, but I now have a greater understanding of their purpose, and I will be able to better explain their purpose to the new students. 

You need to be very intentional when designing rubrics.

I believe it is essential to use a rubics and it will give students a clear understanding of the process

Holistic rubric is quick to score and a Analytic rubric allows for meaningful feedback and is easier to share. 

I find that their are different ways to use rubrics. They have their positives and negative. They can be time consuming and not easy to put together, depending on what is being taught and if the student has any learning disabilities. It does give the student an idea of what is expecting of them and how they are graded for their assignment, but, however they can also go about their assignment by checking off the boxes and not putting in the extra effort and creativity.

I have learned that a detailed rubric, that is clearly reviewed with students, for online learning will increase student success for assignments.

I learned that rubrics can help instructors get a clearer picture of the strengths and weaknesses of their class. Also, instructors can identify those skills or concepts that need more instructional time and student effort. I learned that it can be time consuming to find the right grading system with Rubric, but once established, it makes its easier for students to have a guideline for grading. 

Although rubrics are important as they provide a layout of what is expected, it may take a lot of time to develop an effective rubric. Adding the content and developing the rubric grid is time consuming initially but helpful to provide a successful outcome.

Most Rubrics only evalate the final project not the progress or effort the student puts into it. 

Rubrics are a great tool, used adequately can enhance learning by providing students with cleear expectations of assignments and feedback after completion. 

Get the student comfortable with a generic rubic and the switch to a task specfic to help student get use to Rubics. Identify task first nand then create rubic.

There are some disavantages to using rubics but the advantges greatly outweigh these. The  consistancy in grading over time is so important. 

I learned that the rubric will provide the student with clear expectations of the expected outcome the instructors have to be diligent in updating them prior to using with a new class to ensure it correctly reflects the current student body and expected outcomes.

From this module I have understood the importance of the rubrics when evaluating assignments since it is generally done trusting the teacher's criteria and in many occasions the result is subjective, which is disadvantageous for the student. On the other hand, if we use the rubric, the same student knows beforehand in which aspects he should dedicate more effort, the evaluation becomes more objective.

The complexity of the elaboration of the rubrics is recognized and I tend to agree to elaborate generic ones in principle to refine them based on the type of assignment.

I feel using a rubric is vital to the students knowing what is expected of them and key points they must cover. Rubrics can be very time consuming to create.

Sign In to comment