Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The use of a rubric allows some great opportunities for students to get more than just a letter grade and this is important in a science class.  On so many assignments, all I can offer them is "correct" or "incorrect", but having a rubric for discussion posts and essay questions allows me to make sure students are understanding the material holistically.

Rubrics make it clear what I as an instructor am looking for...but they can also hinder creativity.  

Using rubrics are important to keep the students knowing what is expected of them at all times. Rubrics are very time consuming for the instructor and may have to be updated often depending on the class.

I have learnt that a rubric is essential in that it allows educators to articulate the goals of an assignment. As a student, i can benefit from the use of a rubric since I can understand the primary requirements of an assignment. I can also judge my work by going through a rubric and developing an understanding of the main points of the assignment. 

I thought that this was an important note: Rubrics can also restrict the students’ creativity.

Using a rubric provides several advantages to both instructors and students.

I have been inspired to create a rubric for my two weekly writing assignments so that more is put on the students to accomplish and I have less to constantly remind them of.  I think having writtien down explicit expections of what I want to see in writing will help clear up any confusion my students have had with why they got the score they recieved. 

Rubrics can be excellent tools for instructors to observe the progress their students have made, and are also great tools for students. This is because they give students an idea of how to maximize the quality of their assignment, while improving their learning potential. Although they may be time consuming, general, analytical, and hollistic rubrics are for the most part, one of the best teaching/learning tools.

I'm a big believer in rubrics, particularly for major writing assignemtns. I think they help to ensure fairness in grading and provide the students with valuable, specific feedback. I really like what the lesson said about the challenges that rubrics present to students who have learning disabilities in that rubrics do tend to be very summative and performance based. They don't often take effort into account, so some students are perhaps at a disadvantage in regards to their work being judged with a rubirc. I'll carry this insight with me as I create rubrics in the future and will perhaps create an effort based criterion when grading essays from here on out.

In this module we learned the advantages and disadvantages to using rubrics.  The advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages and it's important to know when to use them and when not.

I am, at this point, unsure as to whther I will incorporate rubrics any more than I already do.

So interesting to learn about how and when rubrics can vary. I've always assumed other than content that they generally followed the same mechanics and purpose.

When designed and implemented properly against the course of instruction, rubrics are a very useful assessment tool for both the instructor and student. They help define expectations for the student, without supressing creativity. They also help a group of instructors grade to the same standards. I believe this definately creates an "equal playing field" from the student standpoint. 

In designing the course, using rubrics can help the instructor provide clarity for wholistic course goals and specific tasks for learning outcomes.  Provides consistency, continuity and direction while minimizing subjectivity.

I thought the section on the advantages and disadvantages of rubrics was interesting. One thing I've found with rubrics is that most lean to the generic so that there is consistency throughout a school's courses. Consistency is great; however, what often happens is that a specific assignment calls for something that is not reflected in the rubric. This can lead to grade disputes.

Nancy Tosh

I have learned there are different types of rubrics. Generic which is more general however can emphazie specific features and thean Task specific.  Rubrics provides consistency in grading.

Cheryl

Rubics are a great way for students have clear expectations of what to expect on their outcomes and a way to make us, the instructors easier the evaluating process, but sometimes it got to be arrange in terms of special needs, isn’t correct to always got a “general rubic” for everything.

Rubric is a good education instrument if is used in a Holistical perspective and also a specific task analitical way. It is time comsuming also but it gives a more concrete perspective within the assessment function 

Select the correct rubric for the matter that is bein asses.

I agrre wiht you. 

Sign In to comment