Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A rubric would have it's benefits, a disadvantage is sometimes rubies require more revision in order for it to be effective some feel that a rubric can be tailored for any type of student project.

By providing a rubric, it allows the student to see exactly what is expected of them to acheive the grades they want. The rubric can also show that assessments/assignments aren't doing what we want them to do and can help in adjusting said assessments/assignments. It's important to remember that your rubric will need to be tested and may need to be reworked.

Most rubrics evaluate only the final project. A carefully constructed rubric can same a boatload of time grading.

Utilizing a Rubric can be useful, start with a generic rubric to get the student accustomed to the different expecftations for their finished work, it does take time initially but it will be beneficial for the student

That rubrics can be a valuable tool for assesing and guiding students but can also be a hinderance to some students that are challenged. This means that you would have to know your student and use the rubrics accordingly.

I have used rubrics but am hesitant to use them on my big created projects. I have been concerned it will limit their creativity as many students will look at just what they have to do to pass. 

I feel rubix may be helpful for students understanding what is expected of them. Rubix may be useful for certain projects- which outline what each step of the project to complete and how the grading will be. 

I think that developing and utilizing a ruberic can be helpful.  I am interested to see how this could work with online students and integration into our learning portal.

Rubrics provide for inter-rater reliabiltiy with scoring consistenly among educators based on defined criteria that fits the assessment tasks. While it takes time to create a really good rubric, it will save time in the long run.  Advantages, I feel outweigh the disadvanrages, as rubrics provide a guideline for students with expectations for quality of work and with meeting the expected level of achievement. I use rubrics for almost all assignments in both theory and clinical courses.

Rubrics are a great source in helping the student understand exactly what is expected of them for a specific assignment.

Gloria

I like using a rubric for projects due to the concisenees of letting the student know what is expected for a project or presentation. This asy there is no misunderstanding when the grade is presented. I have found that it does need to be specific and not long an detailed.

Rubrics help both the teacher and students with what the end product and can be used in most subjects, but there are times when the teacher needs to evaluate the process and make sure the students understand this process before starting the project.

I like a simple holistic score.  It is easy to develope and grade.  However, it does little in the way of feedback to the student.  Many students will not concern themselves with the way it was scored unless they are high achievers.

I believe rubric are necessary to providing feedback that students require to enhance their learning, but also instructors need to carefully plan and determine the best criteria to be used for their rubrics.

I have learned that a rubric is a good way to help guide students to a desired outcome.

I use rubrics a lot, and I liked that the narrative brought out that a rubric can lead to reflection on the part of the instructor about the nature of the assignment and the design of the rubric. 

Rubrics are great tools for evaluating students and for course feedback. However, they can be very time consuming to create.

There are several different kinds of rubrics and you need to choose the one appropriate for your situation.

I learned the difference between analytical and holistic rubrics although I would have liked to have been given examples to "see" the difference in action.

I learned that there are different types of rubrics that have different strengths and features. While I was familiar with the benefits associated with creating rubrics, before reading this section I hadn't considered the shortcomings associated with rubrics, such as the time spent to create them, the lack of explanations they might fail to provide, or their stifling of students' creativity. 

Sign In to comment