Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics are not a 'one size fits all" for students or instructors.

Rubrics provide students with clear guidelines, expectations, and feedback on a given assignment. Though rubrics may take some time upfront to make, they can actually save an instructor some time in the long run since they will no longer need to type out or copy+paste feedback.

I currently do not use rubrics at my school. I teach virtual labs which are automatically graded. We have weekly discussions, but the prompt for this is quite simple.

Rubic is an objective way to balance scoring for students work, expectation and learning outcome.

When completing an assignment, it's often useful to have some guidlines and to know what's expected. It can guide the student in the appropriate direction. And also prevent the element of surprise when their grade is recieved.

Rubrics help turn assignments that can be subjective into a more objective grading outcome.  They help students know the expectations of the instructor and provide them the insight as to what to include in their paper in order to achieve their desirable score.  Feedback from rubrics help train the students not to make the same mistake in future assignments.

Students are likely to perform better with less anxiety if they clearly understand the grading expectations. An effective rubric does this; however, it takes a thoughtful analysis of the criteria to ensure that it is appropriate for the assignment to create a meaningful rubric. If not, the rubric become subjective and can cause more frustration for the student and the instructor.

In this section, I have learned the advantages and disadvantages of using a rubric. The advantages I learned include the fact that rubrics encourage learning, it creates consistency and it encourages instructor and peer dialogue around learning. 

The disadvantages are that it is time-consuming and can limit creativity.

The rubric can enable students to better understand learning goals. I like the concept of a rubric enabling students to improve the quality of their course work, while they learn.

Rubrics can give both instructor and students the parameters for successful completion of the assisgment. Trouble is that it may limit responses that only respond to the letter of the rubric.

I use a rubric for the three essays in my English Reading & Composition course. I was thinking of making a simple one for the annotations but can see how rubrics can be limiting for creative type classes.

Rubric's can be an advantage an many times. Rubrics help with seeing what needs to be done in that specific assignment and it also helps to make sure that there will be no mistakes made. But, it is also a disadvantage because it is time consuming.

I think that both online and not online teaching, the use of rubrics improves the students' learning and teaching efficiency. However, for this to be the best practice, a rubric must be very well prepared. Otherwise, students can use it to take advantage of the grading.  

I use rubrics all the time, but a good reminder that they are not self-explanatory to the students and no matter how specific, should be explained. 

Using a rubric makes it easy to do your grading and student can see upfront the expectations.

Hi Community - Excited to be here. I'm learning more about rubrics and how they can be a helpful tool in a number of ways. Specifically, they serve as an affirmation to a student when the information is correct and help redirect learning for incorrect information. Likewise, they help a student define "success" so they can achieve exemplary work. 

the use of rubics can give teh student a clear understanding of what the expectations are. 

The information on using rubics in the classroom was very beneficial.

I think I wil enjoy using Rubics to enhance online learning.

I  have leaned the varies types of rubics and a understanding of how they are used.

I used rubrics before a lot but didn't know about different categories and how each of them can be used.

Sign In to comment