Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diagnostic, Formative and Summative Assessment | Origin: EL106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Evaluating Student Learning in Online Courses -->  Diagnostic, Formative and Summative Assessment

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I really was not sure what the differnce is between a assessment and and evaluation . But an assessment is just taking notes on progress or other and evaluating is actually grading. Makes sense now. 

I really like the concept of the muddiest point.

I learned that all three concepts on assessments have their place within the life cycle of a student and can really help the process of teaching and identifying problems before its too late.

I have not used a diagnostic evaluation before that will assess where the student is before the course begins and also determine if the course is what the student anticipated. 

This module covered the three types of assessments, namely: diagnostic, formative, and summative. I realized that, as instructors, our focus mainly on the summative assessment and we don’t pay attention to the diagnostics assessment. Also, due to time constraints, we avoid giving enough formative assessments. Including the diagnostic assessment will help us to make the necessary changes in the course in order to achieve the learning outcomes and helping our students. In addition, to support students and see where they are standing in the course, it is very important to include formative assessment in the course.

I am planning to give my students a short diagnostic assessment to check if they have any knowledge about the topic I am explaining in the upcoming class.

I learned alot from this module. The types of assessments, I am now going to include them into my online learning. I like the idea of using assessments with the students, to gain there ideas and to enhance there learning experience, online. 

Assessing the student prior to the lesson (diagnostic) will make evident the progress of the student as the final evaluation is completed. The process keeps communication open and can guide the instructor and student to achieve optimal knowledge and skill.

I have learned to value assessments and evaluations more.

In this mod we learned the difference between a formative and a summative assessment. A formative assessment is when you take assessment of the student's learning at intervals during the course while a summative assessment is given at the conclusion of a lesson to assess how much of the lesson the student learned.

In order to maintain a continuous assessment of how students are comprehending the material you must perform summative assessments reguraly.  This will help the instructor realize week areas that need more instruction for understanding in order to insure students are meeting learning objectives set for the lesson.  Providing only summative assessments at lesson conclusion doesn't allow for these milestones.

Assessment and evaluation are different Assessment is designed to improve learning and teaching while evaluation is grading it. Formative and summarize assessment are both needed for a student to be successful.

Diagnostic evalustion sounds like a strong tool. I have never used it before but i am anxious to try it.

Hi David 

Here I think you meant we need to give formative assessments regularly and not summative assessment.

I learned that we need to continually assess learning by using formative assessment.  By doing so, we can determine where students are and implement strategies to help struggling students. 

We need to assess students throughout the entire class.

Learned that "Summative assessment is assessment that is conducted at a particular point in time. It occurs at the conclusion of a lesson, project, unit, or course to determine what students know and what they do not know." and that "The outcome of summative assessments is a judgment of student competency at the end of the instructional phase with a grade earned."

Creating and connecting ideas and components to engage in creative thinking is a cornerstone for teaching online the student expect to be assessed so they know their progress.

this module I have learned the difference between a formative and a summative assessment. A formative assessment is when you take assessment of the student's learning at intervals during the course, while a summative assessment is given at the conclusion of a lesson to assess how much of the lesson the student learned.

There are many ways to measure competency, each of which is empowered through the establishment of a baseline.  This baseline allows professors to better prepare the course material and understand which students may be most harmonic and symbiotic.

Sign In to comment