Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Successful Instructors’ & Learners’ Personality Traits | Origin: EL117

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Understanding Online Instructors’ and Learners’ Personality Traits --> Successful Instructors’ & Learners’ Personality Traits

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned that the students with Authority traits like lectures, Demonstrators like coaching, Facilitators like activities, Delgators like group activities and Hybrid like blended style.  Creating a curriculum that incorporates all these styles is ideal. 

I have learned that students may be more than one color and you have to learn to shift gears when teaching in an online environment.

A successful instructor

• respects students
  • creates a sense of community
  • is warm and caring
  • is accessible
  • is enthusiastic
  • sets high expectations
  • has a love of learning

and I have learned if i use these principles along with the ones i have set for myself, i will be succussful as a instructor

how to create a teaching style that incorporates the students personalities. How good learners know what they need to know and can change thier way of learning.

It is imperative for instructors to understand how personalities interact and how knowledge of the true colors can help instructors be intune with students needs. 

The instructor needs to create a sense of community in F2F and online learning. This will help make students comfortable in sharing personal and professional experiences. 

I learned that It is imperative for instructors to understand how personalities interact and how knowledge of the true colors can help instructors be intune with students needs. 

Seth  Soronnadi

I agree with the statement that "When the instructor creates a sense of community. Students understand how they fit within the learning community and thus are comfortable sharing with their peers."

Being able to shift gears is useful during the course, knowing the different learning styles of each student is helpful.

Its important to know how personality characteristics interact with students and how know the different learning syles of each student.

GLoria, I learned thw we as instructors need to be respectful and welcoming  for all students, make sure that we value what are saying , make sure we have a welcoming enviroment  with int the online setting. If we do these things then students can feel safe in their learning experience and feel comfortable ot share.

It is important to mix up my content delivery style so that all students are given an opportunity to learn in their comfort zone.

Several personality traits can make instructors more successful. These include respect warmth and caring, ability to build learning communities, accessibility enthusiasm, lover of learning, accessibility, leadership, collaboration, and professionalism. Traits that help students to be successful include curiosity, motivation and diligence, questioning and sharing. ION believes they must also be good at written communications and pro-active with communication, be motivated and self-desciplined, and have critical thinking and decision-making skills. Instructors may use five different teaching styles: authority/lecture; demonstrator/coach; facilitator/activity; delegator/group; and hybrid/blended style. Although facilitator/activity style is noted to be the most effective for online learning, it seems that a hybrid/blended style would be most effective in being able to communicate with and bring out the best in online learners in many different situations. I will endeavor to develop that blended style even as the facilitator/activity style is the approach I prefer.

I learnt that setting the "energy level", "authority level"  in the class has more than one avenues that an apet instructor must explore and not be tied down to "THis is how i was taught and hence i will teach it the same way"

I've learned that I have to make my students want to take part in my class, make them comfortable, feel welcome to the class and also make them feel that they are part of the community.

Colors are meaningful. Understanding your own color as well as that of the students is benefical for all parties involves. It leads to a successful online experience.

Time for a confession. I am TERRIBLE at delegation. I am the person who has to do everything. If you're struggling, I want to jump in and do it for you. I have worked hard to not do that in a classroom setting. Especially when I see someone getting angry. It took me a long time to get to the "guided questions" stages of teaching. A "That looks good, but if you take another look over here, you might see something else." type of statement. I had one student say he hated me, in a joking way of course. He was working on a coding project all weekend and couldn't get it. He came in on a Monday and told me about it. I said I would take a look. He said "No, you'll fix it in 3 keystrokes." I said there is almost no way that I can do that...well, I did. I said, "I am so sorry...1, 2, 3. OK it works..." and then I walked off. He said he hated me and we laughed.

Course development should take into account both, instructor and learner characteristics, to be effective.  

I have learned that nothing is set in stone. You may start at a younger age with a certain color trait but it may be entirely different as you gather life experiences and maturity. My younger students tend to be orange(ish). They do have some blue and green. Just being able to recognize the differences will help the instructor and student succeed.

I had been using the Authority/Lecture style but found out quickly it doesn't always work in the online environment. I still "lecture" but I also demonstrate and facillitate.

Sign In to comment