Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned the characteristics of a good learner.  It was enlightening to discover it means much more than just earning good grades.

Both the teaching and learning process can be influenced by the teacher's personality traits either in a positive or negative way. It is important for the educator to know and understand their own personality traits. Of particular importance is understanding the stressors related to certain traits. And developing mitigation strategies accordingly.

That said, understanding the personality strengths and stressor of the learner are equally important. The educator can leverage this information to provide engaging and motivating activities within a course. This is how I would apply this information.

I agree that it's important for the instructor to be flexible when teachcing certain material to the class, and sticing always to one method does not work. We must know when to switch gears and try a different approach, going between lectures, demonstrations, coaching,  and good old Q&A. Gamification is also a great approach to incorporate throughout lecture time. It keeps class engaged and involved.

I definitely agree that most teachers start out with authoritative/lecture style teaching. In my experience, the teachers that do not migrate away from that style seem to have the most difficulty effectively communicating with students. 

It was interesting to see this standpoint to have a more productive classroom environment. This will help get more students engaged by knowing how and why it is important to shift gears. Knowing your own teaching style is helpful and encouraging. It also gives insight about other instructors teaching styles.

Successful learner personality traits are described as curious, accepting of failure, diligent, motivated to develop their own learning, questioning, and sharing.

The various descriptions of the personality traits and preferences coupled with the color schemes are important reminders that can assist instructors when presenting information in attempts to reach all students.  Not an easy prospect.

Successful learner personality traits are diligent, motivated, accepting of failure and curious. They wonder about information beyond their expertise. In addition, it is interesting to acknowledge that learners that accept failure demonstrate confidence. This helps them to work towards being successful by nfiguring out why they failed. I found this intersting.

I would love to practice Socriatic questioning and allow students to have the opportunity for self-discovery, but that is very difficult to achieve in asynchronus, on-line learning environments that are structured for authoritarian-style lectures.

Understanding personality traits in the online environment is an excellent way to engage students, ellavate the standards at which students need to be performing and it allows for an environment in which students are able to express their needs to their instructors. 

From this module I have learned about the ways of using traits to create appropriate learning experiences. 

An interesting and useful primer on personality trait considerations.

I learned about the different ION characteristics and the colors that are associated with them. 

There is a definite benefit in the understanding of students through the lens of colors. In online teaching, however, there is often a vast difference between the ability to know a student as compared to a 16-week F2F class. Even in a 16-week F2F class, there would need to be a great deal of intentionality t know the students. In an online class, it may simply be necessary to filter assignments through the lens of color assuming that students who are of these colors will better relate to those assignments and the diversity of assignments will be positive, even if we don't really know the student that well.

I have lernt that there are different teaching styles and thst each one has its own good and bad points. Students respond to teaching styles and get engaged in what they are lerning deepending on the style of teaching. I also lernt that the more students feel comfortable they are then able to share their own personl experiences and that also promotes learning. 

In this module I learned the importance of taking student's personalities into consideration when teaching and looking at your own teaching style as well.  I think incorporating a different approach to teaching is important, the facilitation of learning activities and giving up control is important because it allows students to grow and become responsible for their learning.  I have had to change my teaching style of Authority/Lecture, it has always been easier for me but it has not been the most effective for the students to learn.  I think a combination of the different teaching styles and listening to your students in formative assessments would be most beneficial. 

I am a demonstrator because I like for my students to have the full picture as to what is being discuss and to apply it to their imaginations

I like the ION list of succerssfull learner characteristics because it describes behaviors - not labeling people with styles.  Styles are restrictive.  People have more than one style.  Behaviors are a more appropriate way to determine how to interface with people - leadership, teaching, etc.

It is incredibly interesting to think about the different characteristics we have of each of the different colors. I also like to delve deeper and think about how this relates to my teaching style and communication with students. As an adjunct professor and peer collaborative middle school teacher, I feel like I am always thinking about building relationships, but this is an interesting new context or lens.

I have learned that it takes more than being knowledgable to be a good teacher. You must also incorporate other qualities such as sociability, passion, etc.

Sign In to comment