Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The many roles that on line instructors accept are challenging and must be understood to prevent student drop off or disengagement.  Consistency is critical and timeliness of responses important.

Being a facilitator means more than just being a teaching providing information. Being a fecilitator is being a resource for students for information, knowledge, skill, and providing students with opportunities to think and research on their own. Also being a support system for the student not only regarding the subject matter but even in terms of IT and time manegement. 

Teaching online is more about facilitation than sage on stage.

Facilitation skills that are needed: Engage students in the learning process, particularly in the beginning, use appropriate questioning, listening, and feedback skills, provide direction and support to learners, manage online discussions, build or facilitate building of online teams, facilitate relationship building, and motivate students.

I learned that the professor have to write a syllabus with all de tasks and strategies for the lessons.

It is important to evaluate facilitation of learning in the course and to make changes or adjustments as needed to continually improve the course to help students achieve the outcomes. 

A good primer for beginning and veteran online instructos.

Feedback is important to the student and assist with their learning environment.

In this section the feedback and interaction of the students was analyzed.  It is important to take this feedback into consideration to facilitate the learning environment whether it is synchronous or asynchronous.  

Copious feedback is critical.  I'm not a fan of being the technical expert for the technology used in our courses.  We have help desks for that.

This module emphasized the importance of the instructor acting as a social director, program manager, and technical assistant. It also stressed the role of the instructor as facilitator, and the importance of evaluation.

I found it interesting that they referred to authentic learning.  I am not sure with COVID how many students are actually producing authentic learning.  Many students are retaking courses and reusing old papers or papers bought off the internet.  Almost every exam can be purchansed online.  How do we maintain authentic learning without changing our tests and questions?

As an online instructor is important to carefully read all of the students key responses and feedback, it is important to assess student evaluations to make sure that they are learning and understanding the information being presented to them. It is also important to make sure that when responding to any student that each message is clear and concise since they can not see or hear what you are expressing out loud.

I love the idea of being the guide on this side. The best teachers are facilitators, not instructors. We facilitate meaningful learning experiences for the most positive effect on our students.

Feedback is of an escence.

It is important for the instructor to facilitate learning. Constructive feedback is essential to ensure the students are able to take away the necessary information to meet objectives. Utilization of different feedback strategies helps engage the learner and help them master the content.

Meaningful feedback is necessary for students success. 

Motivating students to actively participate in an online course is an educator's responsibility and represents the most complex part of the teaching process.

Give aditional guidance if needed to help students understand content better.

I enjoy "guide on the side." I always strive to encourage students to create their own meaning and apply classroom tools and knowledge to their work. I hadn't really considered this as much through the lens of an online course, but I learned its just as viable!

Sign In to comment