Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned a lot from this module and the difference between Synchronous versus Asynchronous Learning

Virtual learning may use synchronous methods, where instructor and students are online at the same time, or asynchronous methods, where students work "any time, any place" to complete learning modules, assignments or discussions. Either of these may be suitable depending on the needs of the specific course. (Most courses today are a blend of synchronous and asynchronous.) Especially in asynchronous learning, communication is key. Objectives, requirements and assignments must be clear and forums must be created for questions and answers, submitting completed assignments and obtaining feedback, and assessing performance.

This module shows us that it doesn't matter if synchronous or asychronous learning is taking place, you still have to develop guidelines for everyone to follow, organize course content and material that is easy for students to locate and follow, as well as select the appropriate technology tools that best meet the functions of teaching styles.

With virtual learning it is important to create a pattern of teaching that students can expect and rely on for consistency purposes.  Organization is key and don't over use a variety of tools if it's not necessary.  Create sections/boards that allow students to support one another.

learnig styles need to remain and continue to be organized and well communicated to all students. Expectations of students are highly needed. Dashboards and other learning platforms need to function properly and communication back to a student needs to be completed in a timely manner.

I believe a blend of both asynchronous and synchronous learning delivery best addresses the needs of most online learners who need to benefit from flexibility to juggle school, work, family and life in today's hectic environment. The ability to record synchronous webinars or "chat sessions" allow those that can't make a set chat due to scheduling conflict, permits them to view and listen 7/24 when time permits.

Instant messaging is a really useful technology tool enabling students and instructors to 'see' who is online and communicate as necessary.

I personally believe online students have more ways to interact with their class, classmates and instructor compared to their on-ground counterparts who typically are not available or accessible outside of campus schedules.  Further, I believe the Covid-19 virus has only expanded the use and familiarity of online education to the degree that it will eventually become the norm with less and less dependence with on-ground/in-class instruction.

The advantages of synchronous learning is that students can feel an immidiate connection to each other and there is no room for procrastination.  Asynchronous learning allows for greater flexability but also allows students to go in at the last minute and finish assignments and posts at the last minute.

I have learned that consistency in the organization and rules for a course can produce better student compliance and acheivement.

It is imporant to figure out which method of teaching works best for the students and course. While my county is using a combination of the asyncronous and syncronous, I think it is important to identify which lessons should be live and pre-recorded.

Communication and organization are essential to a successful online classroom.

It is important to determine which types of instruction work best for you and your classroom. Evaluating synchronous vs. asynchronous will help you pick the best one. The way that the teacher organizes the course content can help enhance student success.

Communication is the key to getting your instructions/point across to the students. You will be able to determine the needs and wants of students by reviewing their submissions. As a teacher, you will be able to see their needs and wants without asking.  

Both Synchronous & Asynchronous methods have advantages and disadvantages and should be chosen based on which one will best deliver the learning outcomes.  Establishing a clear Pattern of Teaching, developing clear guidelines, the course materials being organized, being clear with learning outcomes and ease of accesibility are all important factors in creating an effective online course, or any course for that matter.  

Keeping a course well organized and consistent will help students know where to find information and understand what is expected of them in the course.

One course can effectively utilize synchronous and asynchronous methods.  Organization of the materials and accessibility are crucial to student success.  I plan to use the FAQ Discussion Board concept as I like the idea that answers can be posted publicly by instructor and students.  

It is important to think about how to organize the online portion of your classroom as much as you do the layout of your physical classroom. You need to have clear expectations and proceedures. These will need to be communicated to the students. Consistancy is key. Instructional reminders or "how to" videos/ recordings will help. Also, a FAQ board/page for the repetitive tasks so students can check there first if they forget how to do something.

I definitely like the synchronous learning environment for the courses I teach. Clinical skills really are not designed to be taught virtually so having all my students available to me at a specific time is important for their success. 

Asynch vs. Synch.......they each have a reason for use.  It is up to the instructor to identify which forum is better fo the content they wish to deliver.  Some of the criteria may be that Synch is required for daily F2F through video class online.  Where as a Asynch is an any time delivery method for the student to pick when they are available, but also requires the student to be more self paced.

Communication and organization are key to any learning environment.  However, for an asynchronous environment clear and meaningful organization becomes crucial to avoid roadblocks to student success.

I like the creation of a FAQ's wiki on my page. This would be greatly helpful and I'm incorporating it. 

Sign In to comment