Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I’ve learned that I much prefer an asynchronous discussion, as I think this works well for my students too. This type of environment is designed to be more of their responsibility and an “anytime, anywhere” experience. I believe it also gives my students time to research on a topic, rather than be nervous or stressed out trying to be on a live (synchronous) discussion. As I know from experience, there can be disadvantages to this type of discussion as well.  Such as; students procrastinating and not staying on top of their work.

Communication is key in online learning. I feel that it is important to have multiple modalities of learning. You have to get to know your students, know your strengths, etc. 

Good review. Many points are similar to on ground courses (knowing expectations/outcomes and communicating them to students). 

Communication is key to online learning for students. Synchronous or asynchronous learning both have a very important part in online learning. Depending on the class and the learning outcomes/objectives will help decide which is best or used more in a class. 

I think the synchronous method will work best for my high school math classes. There is an expectation that students will be available from 8-4 just like if we were meeting F2F. This one hurdle I will not have to face.

Setting up protocols for both synchronous and asynchronous environments is necessary.  Making sure that learners have access to a FAQ page will help eliminate a lot of questions and repetition of responses.  Organization in ANY learning environment is key.  I also learned that a combination of both synchronous and asynchronous may be optimal in an upper-level learning environment (University level).

Course organization in the asynchronous learning environment needs to be more thorough and more explicit and readily accessible than in the traditional synchronous environment.

In an online enviornment, the instructor must be orgainized and select appropriate technology tools in addtion to the organization of the LMS, in order for students to be successful in the course content. The instructor must provide clear communication and guidelines for the course and the interaction of the students with the instructor and each other.

Content delivery must be appropriate for each course and must be consistent so the students know they need to do for acedemic success.

Both methods are good to use but some lessons are better live and able to give instant feedback. Also communicating with the students to see what is most successful is important to keep in mind as well. 

Eather course has to be set up so that the lessons can be understood and that you have provided the insentive for the student to want to learn. It also helps the student to know what is a head or what is expected of them.

We learned that the two types have various pros and cons.  Organization, guidelines and consistency matter to the overall design pattern therefore leading to the success and achievement of the learning goals.

I learned that asynchronus  is more in depth and synchronus can be done at the students own pace.

Communication is KEY! with any learning, especially online learning.

I tend to use a mixture of synchronus and asynchronus methods

Communication is essential.

I need to understand that all students are different and finding out which online method works best for each student will allow me to create lessons that all students will benefit from.  

I have learned that you need to do your research for what would be best for your class. I have some classes that are synchronous and works wonderful but I have other classes that are asynchronous that would not work well with synchronous. 

Whether you choose to do synchronous or Asynchronous, the students need a clear plan and set of expectations to follow. I have done both and if you don't hold them to the synchronous, they will become MIA during the course.  Asynchronous is great for those students who have time management skills and who are committed to being on line to get the work done daily, but if not, they will slowly get lost in what is happening in the virtual classroom. 

Knowing is learning is fun.

Sign In to comment