Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that the synchronous one can be as effective as the asynchronous one.

Asynchronous classes run on a relaxed schedule, the students can access materials on their own time at different locations and hours.  Synchronous learning is done on real time with instructors and students attending together from different locations.  The main objective is to have all information out there for students and having open communication at all times.  

great module 

Proper communication on how the course is set up wether syncronis or asyncronis learning is used and how to properly navigate the programs.

Instrumental social support can be demonstrated through consistency, which will support student learning and their academic success.

I have learned that communicating effectively is essential for establishing a pattern of teaching and will assist students in successfully navigating and getting through your course.  Through multiple communication means, such as, the syllabus, LMS Announcements, Face-to-Face Reminders, Student Feedback...I can be effective and thorough in my communication.

Utlizing both methods can be helpful. 

I will certainly weigh the pros and cons of using either of the two online environments to most accurately, efficiently, and appropriately discuss course content.

Online communication with the students is very important.

In Asynch discussion boards, students have to be given guidelines as to what is an appropriate response (e.g. not just "I agree")
In Synch discussion, students can be guided on a "live" board.

It is especially important in asynchronus learning to have clear guidelines and expectations, and easily accessible components such as syllabus, assignments, course guidelines, etc to faciliate students in completing their learning objectives

Guidelines are important for both synchronous and asynchronous learning. 

In this section to me there were 2 important components: understanding advantages and disadvantages of synchronous vs. asynchronous learning, and the second one: components in an effective pattern of teaching such as: learning outcomes, communication, centralized location, content delivery, assignment submission, Q & A.

Communication. Communication. Communication is key to keeping students on top of things and helping them get through the course. 

What I have learned in this module is that communication is key and must be understood by the students wether in a synchronous or asynchronous environment. 

Communcating is the best thing

Constant communication as well as individual student feedback is a great way to establish belonging and meaning for the student. 

Accessibility and communication are important factors in any academic setting

While both have a place in the online world, asynchronous learning is likely the more appropriate way to operate.   The main requirements of this system are organization, access to content and posting work, and most importantly an engaged, communicative instructor.   

Although every class/situation is different, I believe Asynchronous Learning may be the best avenue to take with virtual classes. I do believe that there is a time/place for synchronous learning.

Sign In to comment