Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Synchronous is in real time.  The advantage of that is you can get instead feedback from your class.  The disadvantage of it is the time management for the student and it lacks the flexibility of asynchronous.  Asynchronous is what is used more often and is that I have used in the past.  However, moving forward it would be good to use a combination of both techniques. 

Always provide clear and concise instructions and expectations for students to understand and what is expected of them. 

Communication is very important for online learning

staying organized and having open communication with the students, is the best way to help students succeed

It's important to determine whether a synchronous or asynchronous class will be better for the course content. In either case, comunication and organization is essential.

The information was very imformative to me, as this is my first time teaching from home. learnig a lot and yes communication is very important to the students success

Well I learned a new term: Front loading - making all course content available on day one . Of course I know this is dependent on the course and obviously the grade level. I teach high school and front loading is not something I would not do.  

In choosing to provide synchronous or asynchronous instruction, the teacher needs to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each, including the needs of the students. If students are not able to access the information successfully, whether it is through an unorganized arrangement of the course material or through competing challenges in their personal lives, the likelihood of student success will be diminished. Student success needs to be a high priority in every aspect of course design and development.

I would definitely use both synchronous and asynchronous methods for my class.  I believe it is important to have some real time learning to create a sense of belonging in the e-community, yet most of my class would be a synchronous to respect students' work, family and other time obligations.

Offering both methods will give the student the ability to both contribute when possible considering their individual needs, and participating with real time instructor responses. 

I have learned that identifying the apppropriet methods, establishing guidelines, material and content orgainization and teaching style or pattern are key to on-line teaching  The teaching outcome, effective communication, content delivery and students assignment submission are important, wheather or not the instructor is using synchronous or asynchronous teaching method.

We must choose on whether to implement synchronous, asynchronous, or a combination of both tot the classroom. There are pros and cons to each method. The important thing is to have guidelines that are clearly defined in a syllabus and follow through on what you say. This is true fro learning outcomes as well.

It is important to identify the appropriate methods to use in online teaching. which ever method you choose to  use, it is paramount that you develop guidelines in order to facilitate effective delivery of the content to students.

The communication is important in both types. Syncronos is instant and in real time Asyncrnous is a lest checked post and is not real time.

Most students want an answer quicker so they would us the synchronous way.

Class organization and communication are the most important tools in an online course. Communication will help develop quidelines are exceptations of the course being taught. Consistency is a very important key to the students learning. This helps students and instructors have a successful online course. 

Organization and communication!  I find that much of what was presented here is what I have instinctively done when we needed to transition to online learning rather quickly.  My classroom is a blend of synchronous and asynchronous.  I particularly appreciated the comment about avoiding the perception that the online instructor is available 24-7.  By communicating when I am available and then actually being very available during those times,  I feel I have helped my students transition better and be less stressed during a difficult time.

I learned about organization and consistancy.

What I found interesting is in how while both Asynchronous & Synchronous learning have pros & cons, asynchronous is designed for self-learning in a constructivist theory type of environment. 

I like the idea of combining both types of learning into a virtual class.  Immediate response is important in some cases but leaving comments for the instructor for later works well too.

After reviewing the module, it is important to understand how to impliment asynchronous and synchronous methods in courses. Alternating the two would be the option i would choose to make sure i am still connecting face to face throughout the week with students to keep a relationship and different learning experience. 

Sign In to comment