Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding and following the guidelines when developing a framework for teaching online, will help me to stablish myself and students’ expectations. Synchronous or asynchronous methods are both appropriate and I would use them according to the content and to the student’s needs. The students need to be informed about all the guidelines for learning online. Communication must be present and effective all the times.

I would like to take different components from both asynchronous and synchronous that I feel will make my instructing style better for my students to learn and go from there. I also will watch for patterns that might make my students not as confident in my teaching or lessons and correct that by working on communication to have positive learning outcomes.

I am using mostly asynchronous teaching withing my classes but I am having weekly video conferences.  And in some cases doing synchronous learning as needed.

I'm taking this course to learn more about organization so this is really relvant.  The discussion between synchronous and asynchronous courses seems to involve additional factors such as what type of class and who are the learners.  I think this platform is thinking only of English speaking students or teachers.  I'd like to see additional information about what factors should be considered.  Since we're in the age of coronavirus, all teachers have been pushed online.  Some are doing asynchronous courses and some synchronous.  I'm curious why teachers have made one decision over another.  I suspect it's level of language proficiency, type of course, tech skills of students, and material to be coverd. 

I believe that both Synchonous and Asynchronous methods have their advantages. Both should be used if possible however communication is key to success.

Communication is key for a successful classroom and learning environment.

Regarless of whether the class is asynchronous or synchronous, communication and organization are key factors.

I learned that regardless of which type of settings it's used, organization and communication are key for student success. Students need to have all the information available and accessible in a clear manner. Instructors need to ensure office hours and expectations are clear. This will ensure instruc and students are on the right page and reduce student frustration thus enhancing learning.

Communication is key... if there is lack of or none at all students and the instructor will fail. That is why as an instructor we must allow both asynchronous and synchronous teaching methods to be used in certain cases.

It is good to have a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning if possible. Synchronous learning helps students feel connected and seems more like a traditional face to face class. Asynchronous learning gives students more flexibilty as to when they access content and complete assignments. Both types of learning need to be under the umbrella of easy to access content. If students can't access content easily, then they will typically not do well in a class.

Effective communicaton is critical.  Both synchronous and asynchronus are great methods, a combination is a welcome optiion for both students and instructors.

Different portions of your course may benifit from being sychronous and other portions asynchronous.  Nowing how and when to use both effectively is a benifit to both the instructor and the students.  Testing of both types may be necessary to realize the benifits or drawbacks of one over the other.

Asynchronous learning is more common and it allows the instructors to provide the students an anytime, anywhere learning environment.  Communication in this enviroment is key - if the students don't know where they are to go and what they are to do - it will not be a successful learning experience. 

Regardless of what style we used it needs  to be organized.

The value of communication and the importance of consistent organization. I plan to audit my current online courses to verify my content "flows."

Asynchronous Learning requires motivated, responsible students who can read, analyze and learn. Asynchronous learning is organized at a more in-depth level than synchronous learning. The location of the learning in an asynchronous course must be obvious and a FAQ discussion board is helpful.

Synchronous courses occur in a real-time environment. Time Zones and family commitments may make it difficult to participate in synchronous courses.

An organized and effective pattern of teaching (e.g., communication tools, content delivery system, assignment submission) is important to student success.  Students must understand the learning objectives or they may feel lost.

Syn.= students learn at the same time and is teacher controled enviroment... Asy.= the self paced environment. Students must be willing to work on their own 

communication, content delivery and consistency!

It is important to repeat teaching pattern over the course of the semester to ensure students know what to expect and do. I have learned that it is important to clearly communicate learning outcomes and to put materials in a centralised location so that students can access these documents easily. Students should also know what is expected of them in terms of communication methods, and submission deadlines.

Sign In to comment