Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this lesson I learned about formative and summative assessments and the importance feedback is to students. The more information given during the feedback the better guided the student will be in the course. 

I need to make more use of giving visual and audio feedback using one of the screen capture software platforms. 

Feedback is a great tool for students

I found it informative how important good feedback is to the students so they can see the progress as well. I didi not know that you can incorporate auditory or visual feed back as well 

A clear concise rubric will assisst students in participating in both peer and self - assessments. These assessments are to help students know where their weaknesses and to assisst the instructor where s/he may have fallen short in providing the content. 

I learned about the importance of developing an assessment plan, and the difference between formative assesment and summative assessment. 

Feedback helps students excel.

From this module, I will take the advice of letting students evaluate his/her own work.  It is a great idea to let students check their work then look at the correct answers.  Sometimes in the back of text book it gives you an explaination explaining why the answers were incorrect.  And why the correct answer is the best answer.

From this module I picked up some options for creating formative assessment.  These are typically strategies that I use in traditional classrooms, but it was nice to see what options are typically applied to online courses.  I had not seen the term "muddiest-point papers" before, and feel I would use that option quite often for segments of a module.

I personally like the idea of students grading each others projects then being able to look at their own project to decide if they should change their own project in any way before submitting.  Constructive feedback provided by the students to each other helps the projects improve and also provides life skills to the students.  I plan to implement this.  

Feedback is one of the strongest way letting a student know what they need to work 

"During the review of your assignment/project, complete or provide the following information: 1) make necessary edits, 2) complete the rubric, and 3) list the main edit made during this review." 

Here is an example of guidelines for peer-assessment:

"During your review of your peer's assignment/project: 1) complete the rubric, 2) list 1-2 strengths of how your peer completed the assignment/project, 3) provide written constructive criticism – how could your peer's work be improved, 4) clearly indicate specific edits that should be made, 5) discuss the information provided in #1-2 with the peer (if not an anonymous review), and 6) review your own project again and implement what you learned from this review." 

I have used peer review and self reflection many times in my f2f classes, however, we were always missing the accountability piece that is mentioned above. Moving forward with this teaching strategy I plan to make sure to add the step three in the self-assessment as well as the step 3 & 4 of the peer reviews.

I have never had much success with peer review and feedback. However, if done correctly, many of the issues I have always had with it can possibly be eliminated, allowing more efficient use of this valuable tool.

It was reiterated to me to give insghtful thought to feedback to continue learning and not justify the rubirc.  I was also reminde of the specific examples between formataive and summative assessments as well as how to effectivley use each.  I use rubircs for assignments with my interns but sometimes feel the interns do not read them as evidenced by the product that is submitted (leave items out)

The feedfack help provide assessment and oppurtunties to see studnets understand the materal. The teacher  can also usr in gradinging scale or discussion board.

Self-assessment and peer review can be part of both formative and summative assessment. They can provide valuable feedback to participants.

Ihave learned that there are different types of assessments that should be performed throughout a course. In addition, meaningful feedback is helpful to  the students and can increase their knowledge of the subject matter.

The assessment comes in many forms, each of which can provide the student with a specific value.  Using an assessment as a learning tool (formative, self, and peer) provides students with a better understanding of the subject-matter, varying perceptions and interpretations of the material, and new and creative ways to engage with the content.  Summative assessment reflect the quality and depth of knowledge attained.  In concert, these provide a powerful feedback loop that serves to improve outcomes.

Feedback is crucial and can take place anytime in many forms during the learning process.

Feedback is totally needed and should be encouraged between students and instructor.

Sign In to comment