Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Recordingkeeping can be a key component to addressing online students' concerns regarding assignments and grades.  In the setting in which I work, the advice is "Document, document, document!"

we have instructors in different locations, and we also need to communicate effectivly within our community as well as the students.

I have learned that keeping record of things is very important. This module also taught me to be understanding and have open communication with the students given the fact that they may steer off course.

I learned that it is the instructors responsibility to manage records, student behavior, conflict, and attrition.  I will be attentive and pay close attention in the early weeks of the course to students who may be struggling because of conflict or behavior, and initiate strategies to help these students succeed.

It’s important to understand institution's policies pertaining tp online conduct. Encourage students to partake in chats or discussion questions. Be careful not to give students a large workload.

The major causes of conflicts are: 

• Ineffective communication.
  • Personality differences.
  • Differences in personal values.
  • Differences in personal goals.
  • Failure to fulfill commitments.
  • Shirking of roles and responsibilities.

What I didn't know is yu can use email to talk to the students.  I always believed these matters should be handled face to face

It seems that teaching online courses requires more involvement than the traditional in-person form of classroom.

This part addressed the different types of students and it talked about the differenct type of ways to deal with difficulty students and provided information on how to resolve some of the conflicts that can occur on on-line teaching.

It becomes clear some learners will need more support than others. Identify them as early as possible and offer assistance and support ideas as needed.

This module reminds me on how to deal with different behavior of students. Most of the time it happened whether in traditional classroom setting or in an e-learning environment.  It is important to employ different strategies to manage students in accordance to University policies and yet, all must be documented. 

Email messaging is ranked highest for effective communication when handling private responses such as delinquent online behavior and giving confidential advice to students with personal problems. I plan to enforce classroom policies to keep students on track with positive reminders for those who may be disruptive or apply intimidation to the discussions.

This is good categorization of information. It is important to show understanding and compassion in online classes as conflicts, issues, and interaction can be quite sensitive to any shortfall ore perceptive dislikes by students. This would definitely not retain or engage students.

Keep all correspondence catagorized and organized.  

There are various types of learners in live, and e-learning. The disruptor, intimidator, quiet learner, etc. I have encountered each type. It was good to learn the best way to deal with each type of learner.

This unit was most helpful to notice how low participation levels can lead to higher attrition, especially in e-learning environments. When tackled early (through personal emails, guiding/encouraging them, looking for helpful "ins" from their bios), they'll be more likely to engage and stay the course. 

The course provides valuable information on how students can have different learning approaches and how we as instructors can deal with difficult students to get the best results. 
I will have those in mind to have better control on the classes I teach. Especially in online classes one problem is technical issues for the students which result in not submitting their assignments on time. 

Reply to Lourdes Wiley's post:Hello Lourdes, I learned from your comment! You are totally right! No one thought covid crisis would last so long. So, we and the students were not prepared to be online for so long and also the other issues that accompanied COVID such as economic crisis have complicated the situation even more. It is good if we take those in to consideration to better understand and help the students. I agree with your strategy to be clear about our expectations before the start of each mod. 

Reply to Angelina Cruz's post:Hello Angelina, I also use text message for positive reinforcements beside using email. What do you think about text message? Is it an effective way to communicate with the students who needs more attention by your experienc?

Learned how to handle conflix. HOW TO USE EMAIL EFFECTIVED, proper record keeping the two way for student couseling.

This Section talks about keeping track and managing each student records, managing emails from your students, setting some parameters around how you counsel your students in an e-learning environment, what types of e-learners there are and way to manage student conflicts.

It is important to keep a documented record of all emails, conflicts, posts/comments, problems students may be having online, etc. And it is best to make an individual folder for each student in a class folder and keep all of the information for each student in their folders. 

E-learners may leave the course prematurely for a number of reasons.  It's the instructors responsibility to manage attrition. Some e-learners find it difficult to develop informal relationships in an e-learning environment.  Those students will alienate themselves from participating in discussions. There are also students who feel the work load is overwhelming, students who fall back or leave for personal reasons, or technical issues.  It's the instructors job to manage all these things, offering help, support, and assistance.

Sign In to comment