Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

On-line teaching needs to have a combination of instruction and tech support. I, as the instructor, have to be organized and be able to have my students engage in the class. I need to be able to evaluate their learning, be accessible to them and be flexible.

To make sure I'm well organized

I teach middle school tech in person.  It is a great learning opportunity for my students to really learn but because I am a "specials" type of class, I am considered a mainstream environment which makes for a lot of different learning styles and supplemental needs.  By offering my lessons in an online/blended model, I am offering my students the chance to do self paced learning and I really have more time to work with the students in an one on one basis, rather than as a full class.  I intend on taking the skills learned here and fine-tune my online classroom presence.  The consistent structure, as well as access to resources & help, will help me help my students build their confidence with the online learning model.

I have learned that there are methods to keep online students engage.  I am also grateful to work with IT for support.

Making the students feel supported is very important in an on-line course.  Helping them feel comfortable with the technology and reaching out regularly is crucial to their success.

Biggest take away right now is that Students need to KNOW and FEEL that they are supported. The Layout of the CMS must be as simple to navigate as possible with a clear layout. All of this will prevent any extra anxiousness specially if e-learning is a new educational route for them.

I think the most difficult for the students to takes class online are not familiar with how to engage the class. What they should do for each week's assignments and exams. The most frustrating is to have difficulty login to the class to do the assignments.   

It is very important to know and understand your Course Management System (CMS).

I did not realize the amount of behind the scene work there is. Going from teaching in front of a class of 30 -60 students to an online class is very different. The need to view, review, and keep in the know of everything seems the same as traditional classroom settings, but the more I look at it the more of a learning curve is required to teach an online class.

Course sturcture and modules, topics. 

I have learned that I need to do a lot of planning and preparation before I am ready to set up an online course, can't just plunge in and learn on the fly!

I have learned that in order to be essential in eLearning the instructor has to take the time to connect with the students and to also understand the platform in a way that makes learning efficient for the students. 

In reviewing the content learned so far the importance of an orientiation for your students in helping them to navigate through the course module is important and a benefit to the students success in the course.  I have found completing an online go to meeting thats recorded that students have found it helpful when I navigate through the entire course it helps them in understanding how to access all areas of the course.  

I have learned that online students require technical guidance for any software or hardware issues. This skilll I take for granted because of the fact that I have been using a computer daily for almost 26 years. So what seems logical to me would not be to someone who does not have expirience with basic navigation of a computer. To sum up it would be like telling some one to drive to New York but have never even been in a car. 

I learned that providing the proper learning and technical support is important for students to feel comfortable and secure in the e-learning environment. Also, providing timely feedback is critical for the success of an effective online instructor. I intend to apply what I learned by working hard (and reflecting on how) to manage the e-learning environment and the learning experience of each student. I will seek assistance from my colleagues on finding best practices for providing informative and constructive feedback to my students.

I have learned the importance of of course structure, specifically how to use modules and lessons to create an organized, smooth flow of learning.

Students success will rely on the successfulness of the CMS.

I believe this platform can be a very effective way to give lectures to students as well as interact with them. I see nothing but growth for this format in the future and I am enjoying the interaction with the students. Knowing the platform and the support that is available is crucial, as is sticking to deadlines. 

Know the structure of our distance learning environment is key to our instructors success and cutting down on student frustration. Know the CMS and resources for our students will help cut down on their frustrations as well. Good tech support and student support is key. 

This was very useful information, espically now with all teachers having to do some form of onliine teaching.  The informaiton was informative with listing and explaining responsibibilities of the teacher. 

Sign In to comment