Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Just in ahh as to how we are now IT as well as teachers, it is interesting to see all the different tasks and support that will be our responsibility as Instructors.

This module introduces the importance of becoming familiar with the CMS and course content in preparation for online instruction. Instructor participation in the orientation course is an ideal strategy for organizing oneself prior to entering the online environment.    

In E-learning, it is important to have strong technical support, and supports in place for student frustration.   Ahead of time, teachers need to think of all the elements of a course, including its end.   This includes consideration of grading, ability to contribute, and complete objectives.  

The online learning environment is changing daily.  Recently we have had more participants join into this platform with the shelter in place orders.  As instructors, our clientele is going to change just as it did for the college professor when more and more students began to attend college.  More people will begin to take courses online than ever before.  Instructors will now spend more time explaining CMS systems than ever before.  Orientation and Communication with high expectations will be critical to the success of all courses.  

Being able to successfully manage the course management system is vital for both students and instructors.  Communication is very important on both sides.   Coming up with good online presentations that support the learning environment is crucial.  IT staff is a very important part of the e-learning environment as well.

This is to introduce myself to what is involved in becoming an online instructor. As I am learning this material during Covid-19 some of it does not apply directly as yet. I see now that much is involved in this type of instruction. I expect to gain many tools to use now and insight to be better prepared for  next year in the classroom and online. 

Hello All, 

For me the 2 most important factors in an online delivery of classes are 3 :

Mastery over the operation of the CMS by both the Instructor and the students . The instructor has a greater role to play as they shoudl be able to offer the trouble shooting first before going to help desk. 

Effective Engagement techniques and strategies to assess student learning . 

If the above 2 are on point and mastered then I think online delivery can be as succesful as ground.

Regarding the Course Management System, not only do I need to become very familiar with it, but I will need to be sure my students know how to navigate as well. This will improve communication and interaction with students.

I will take the time to become more familiar with the course studies so I can become an effective support system.

From an instructor perspective, an on-line course needs to designed in a coherent way so that students can follow rationally. The instructor must have a working knowledge of the CMS and how support can be accessed. Being familiar with the material and how it will be delivered to the students is paramount.

Teachers should closely review all information on the online system and make sur it is correct. Making it easy for students to navigate without getting frustrated

It is very important to be familiar with the content that you teach and knowing the method the material will get to you students.  Setting expectations for the students is also important.

I'm learning that there are so many components that go into a successful online course.

I plan to create content that's easy to understand and pair each lesson with an open discussion forum so students may interact with each other to help generate ideas for their projects.

As we start to think about transitioning all of our high school courses on-line during this unique time in history, and considering that participation in the on-line learning is essentially optional for students, how do we ensure that the on-line format and content is accessable and engaging for students?  

I learned that the course structure, the structure of the delivery platform and my familiarity with both have a great impact on students expereince and ability to navigate the online learning experience successfully. As the instructor must be able delivery the content in a way that students will understand that they are not out there by themselves and that I am with them every step of the way.

As online instructor, I should verify course content is logically organized, be familiar with module content, course objectives, and utilize a variatey of software delivery methods. I should promptly response to student questions and feedback and develop activities to keep them interested in the course.

To ensure student success in distance learning, it is important that the material be easy to find and easy to follow, they should have support from the instructor and with technology - potentialy by a technical support person - to troubleshoot any roadblocks to learning. While distance learning, it is still important to address different learning styles with interactive lessons.

Quality online courses engage the learner in meaningful learning activities that promote the achievement of the desired learning outcomes. Learning outcomes are higher when learners are actively engaged in the learning process instead of being passive receptors of information.

So far in this module, I have learned the importance of course structure, learning and technical support and the array of information that I should be prepared to address in advance and as needed. Having been thrusted into on-line instruction with no preparation (COVID-19) and based on the interaction I am experiencing with my students, they are familiar with how to navigate my chosen platform; However, I will attemp to locate and post a student tutorial.  Additionally, I learned that I need to navigate my online instructrution platform to expand my knowledge.

The instructor must make sure the content in the lesson is clearly presented and allow time for the students to ask questions if something is not clear.

Sign In to comment