Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that motivation is key, especially when you are teaching a subject repeatedly. Instructors can become burnt out, so it is incumbent upon us to REFOCUS ourselves, and remain excited about the class and subjects. 

I think I've intuitively been applying the techniques in this lesson already. I let my students know from the beginning that I am a human being, I tell them (briefly) about my experiences in the industry, about my family life, stories from my musican or touring days. They know that they'll always get an honest answer from me. This is all about building trust. Trust is the key.

Knowing the material is part of the equation.  Definitely puts into perspective when establishing roles but I like the part where it says dont be surprised if your student knows more than you about the subject! I think things like that also help encourage the rest of the class.  Staying humble allows those students that may not be too communicative to see you as being approachable in case they are having trouble with the lecture.

Take you time to focus individually on the student, this will help to motivate the student sucess 

create enviornment where people can take risks

I learn the importance of feedback, not to embarrass the students and create a positive environment when teaching.

motivation is very important not only for the students but for the instructors as well. I have learned that by keeping the students engaged and motivated, we are able to harness that energy and re circulate it back into the class

Motivating students is complex and highly dependent on the individual and the situation.  It is difficult to individualize all subject matter to properly motivate an entire class of students, but with persoal experience in the field they intend to work in, I can hope to reach most of them and give them insight that is helpful.  

Learn how to motivate students without humilating them and know your students.

Possessing a genuine enthusiasm for a subject is infectious. Do not try and demonstrate the course material through humilating presentation, but rather, know your students and bring the material to them in a complelling and electrifying way. Make it relevant, know you students and what they desire then address their interest during lecture. Its all about engagement with the student body, rather than being insecure and using your abilities to control the flow of the classroom.

Positive reinforcement helps to motivate students which in turn helps with retention. 

good module 

Having a very empathetic vibe shows that the instructor is human and with that comes vulnerabilities too.  Clarity is something I sometimes struggle with, especially when I do not have foreknowledge about students to get a flavor of who the student is. In that instance, I have to take a step back to realize, the cohort may not know what my expectations are even with clarity because some in the cohort have no working knowledge of the field and others have a great amount of experience in the field.  Being a Clinical Educator in the allied health arena I have to really be aware of not getting off target with real-world stories without tying into the learning objectives and standards of the profession.  It's a struggle , so self-reflection is my best friend :-) 

Engage and inspire.

Showing students that you genuinely care about their learning makes such a difference in how they approach a class.

I learned from this lessons about the different learning styles of students I will apply my expertise and passion for the field to incorporate student learning

I will come with a positive attitude  , motivational words of encouragement and let them know they are in a safe space . 

This module for me is being real with my students. We are all here to learn, even the instructors.  

Assessing students individual needs

Knowledge, skills, understanding, and passion

Sign In to comment