Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Your Students | Origin: ED102

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Student Retention Methods --> Motivating Your Students

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

As one of the videos pointed out, ensuring you get to know your students is an important part of figuring out how to interact with them. Speaking to students all the same way may close off some if your too loud or abrasive. I plan on keep a calm tone as that fits my personality which will hopefully put quieter students at ease. 

This module was about motivating your students. When this topic comes up, we think about how we can talk with the students to motivate them. But we forget about an important concept of how to motivate the students: us. When we are enthusiastic about the content and make it fun and show energy and emotion, they are more likely to be excited about the content too. 

I intend to motivate and maintain the students through sharing their personal experiences and mine with others and helping them to understand the importance of their failures and/or successes. 

I intend to use empathetic vocabulary when listening to students concerns. Following up with a similar story to add understanding and connection.

I learned how important it is to keep students motivated to learning and strategies to do it.

bringing your experience is what makes you a person that people want to learn from

In this module I learned about the benefits of consistent positive reinforcement. When I'm with my students, I will try to provide positive reinforcement as much as possible. I think this can even be helpful if the student has answered incorrectly because I can complement their effort and their thought process and willingness to participate. 

I learned of the importance of bringing your experience and sharing that with the students. We should never act like the smartest in the room because there is always someone smarter. We have experienced and expertise in the subject though and it’s our job to relay that knowledge to the students. 

Motivation is temporary and comes either from an idea from within or an external source. Though it is needed in all facets of life its the action taken in school, work, family, etc. to increase the value of those subjects. As instructors we can be motivational ,but the key is to have a path, process, or map for our students to succeed. Some will take advantage once recognized, and others will continue to search. Creating a caring, challenging, and rewarding learning environment for students will lead to highest positive results once motivation sets in.

I learned that motivating students is about helping them see the purpose behind what they are learning. Students are more likely to stay engaged when they understand how the knowledge and skills they are developing will apply to their future careers. Encouragement, enthusiasm, empathy, and recognizing progress can also help build a student’s confidence.

I intend to apply this by connecting lessons and hands-on activities to real situations students may experience in the field. I also want to recognize when students are improving, even if they are still struggling in certain areas. As an instructor, I think my attitude can have a big impact on the classroom, so staying enthusiastic and showing students that I care about their success can help keep them motivated.

Understanding the difference between Semantic and Episodic memory.  Importance of empathy, enthusiasm and clarity when in the classroom.  The goal of an instructor is to ensure the student gains the confidence, self-esteem, knowledge and skills base to transform from student to contributor.

From this module, I learned that student motivation increases when learners see the relevance of course content, receive encouragement, and experience achievable success. I also learned that an instructor’s own passion and enthusiasm for teaching can have a powerful impact on student motivation. When instructors genuinely enjoy what they do, they are more likely to create a positive, supportive, and engaging learning environment where students feel valued and encouraged to succeed. I plan to apply these strategies by connecting course material to real-world applications, recognizing student achievements, providing constructive feedback, encouraging active participation, and maintaining enthusiasm for teaching. By creating an environment where students feel supported and can see the value in what they are learning, I can help them remain motivated and committed to their goals throughout the course.

I think I have done well getting some students motivated but I am still trying to build rapport with others. It can be so tough!

Being enthusiastic, empathetic, and motivated will help your own students reciprocate the same feeling for their education and their coming careers.

In order for your students to retain the information taught, they must see meaning or purpose for the information, and they must also understand and be able to interpret and apply the information. 

The objective of transference is obtained through constant engagement and empathy for student experiences and knowledge. It is important to remain a facilitator of information for students so that they feel comfortable and will retain more of the information being taught.

I learned that motivating students requires understanding what motivates each individual learner and using reinforcement that supports their success. I will apply this by showing enthusiasm for the HVAC field, recognizing students' progress, providing positive encouragement, and helping students connect what they are learning to their career goals.

motivate students by incorporating your own personal work experiences and stories into their learning so they understand that everything they learn with you transfers to the real world 

motivate and not humiliate your students

Sign In to comment