Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

empathy matters, We don't lower our standard , but if thew student feels cared about , known , respected, they are more motivated to rise to the goals.   

Empathy. Being flexible

The learning process works with both the student and instructor work together to create an enthusiastic learning experience. The instructor can assist the student by keeping them engaged, motivating them, and supporting them. 

Motivation for yourself and your students is very important. At the same time being able to be empathetic and seeing the specialness of each individual student will go a long way towards have the most optimal learing experience for your class. 

One of the most interesting things I have each term is the idea that students have NO IDEA who you are. They are joining a class and they don't know you or me. So I have to show them that I can be trusted. That I know what I am talking about (through experience or stories or demonstrations) and from there, it builds a trust that when I say that they can do it and allow them to try and do something, it often makes them more confident. They like hearing, "See, I knew it was too easy for you...let's do something challenging."

It's important to really get to know the students to help with keeping them engaged and helping them to be successful. 

Motivation is key, and it depends so much upon knowing my own subject because then you can weave their ideas back into the subject and keep them motiavted 

On my first day of class I alway tell my students, "the dumbest question you can ask, is the one you didn't ask."  I press upon them that if a question has surfaced in there mind, chances are it is needed answering for other classmates.  

Demonstarting clarity and relevance seems to be very important to students and their success. 

I liked the idea of delivering information in a way that students can relate as this adds more value to their learning.

I learned the difference between semantic memory and episodic memory.

Awareness to  truly know your student background and apply it to the learning experience

The 4 Cornerstones of Instruction- Biggest take away! Motivation is key! Figure out what motivates each one individually.

Constant motivation of students are very important in order to sustain their enthusiasm and interest.

I appreciated the reminder to have empathy with my students. I once was in their shoes and I know how life can get hectic. Remembering that everyone comes from different walks of life.

The video describing the four things great teacher do was excellent.

Courses at ECPI are accelerated; therefore, it is crutual that goals and objectives are clear and concise.  This helps students understand what is expected of them  However, allowing and encouraging them to think outside of the box would assist them with their learning. Students are then able to merge their experience and learned concepts to help them retain what they have learned.  Nemonics are also great tools to help commit a difficult concept to memory.

1. Motivation is key to student success

2. Good teachers know the content, Great teachers know their students

Empathy and caring about students is so vital.  I had one instructor in my leadership training who had zero empathy for any student.  It was always his way or the highway.  If you did not participate in the "extra" work and phone discussions, you were toast in his class.  That made me truly dislike HIS course.  He was the only instructor who made me feel that way.  I definitely take it to heart with my own students.  

The course delivers valuable information on student retention.

The factors that plays a crucial role in attrition were presented. Knowing the students' name and their background from the first session, showing enthusiasm and clarity are the strategies that I will apply more often after this course.

Sign In to comment