Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This course emphasizes the importance of taking into account the experiences of all students in your course, regardless of their age.  It also reiterates being a good listener, but remaining solutions-oriented and not being sidetracked by complaints.  I liked the idea of grouping students to allow groups to hear from a variety of perspectives within a working group since lots of people may have different backgrounds and work experiences.

I appreciate the implementation of Maslow Hierarchy of Needs understanding that a student’s lower level Basic needs are ‘high’ on their “need to do’ list.  Understanding this theory lends a new perspective on how to approach the student.

I have learned that learning to understand the students can benefit both myself and the students by making that connection. Helping them realize that I am trying  to encourage them to keep pushing themselves from being someone that has succeeded in the profession that they are trying to learn.

I feel I can use this time to see the classroom from the students prospective, and tech them while understanding where they are in the learning process.

Using real life situations while teaching in class will help with student interest and retention.

This course was very helpful to understand reasons for students electing to continue their education and identification of student needs to increase student retention.  This can assist us instructors to continually motivated students during delivery of lecture and creating assessments that can measure achievement of student learning outcomes. Better understanding of intrinsic and extrinsic students needs helps further tailor educational materials and subject matter to deliver personalized curriculum.

This course has given me a better understanding of the different age groups of students and how to keep both motivated and wanting to be here everyday to advance further into a career that will take care of them there whole lives! also it has helped me better understand how to address a issue that a student may have without losing the role of the instructor.

Learning about your students as well as their learning needs, can assist the instructors in planning and make adjustments when necessary

Environment is very important.

Is necessary was help to other and me.

Listening to and understanding the  students needs and struggles will help keep the student active in the class. I will drive the desire to continue to attend classes

We can help students to refine their career goals by helping students to work through these three career goal components. Making informed decisions, realistic aspirations, and meaningful outcomes.

This course has helped me to understand the students' needs other than being successful in the course. They are excited, enthusiastic, ready to learn but also they may be anxious, scared and frustrated at the same time. They need to be listened to, understood and supported appropriately so that they can be successful.

I've learned in this course, most adult learners have a new sense of responsibility. Adults learners may come with interpersonal problems. As an instructor, it is wise to listen, possibly make a suggestion, and then focus back to the class, but give knowledge I am aware of the problem. I have also learned to help students to be goal orientated. Lastly, focusing on a disgruntled student can place a negative notion on the entire class. However, making sure of key words to circle back to the student. 

Comment on  post: Comment on Dondalynn Angstadt's post

i agree 

knowing that adults have life experiences will give you a way to connect the relevant lecture.

Student Characteristics are both generational and personal to the individual students. 

I learned the importance and difference approach to a adult and a young student to be successful.

Adult learners have a different perspective; the class/topic needs to feel important and useful.  It's important to engage with them and hear where they are coming from.

its important to get involved with students and help them set goals and plans that fit their way of learning. one on one 

Sign In to comment