Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned a lot throughout this course including the importance of understanding patient demographics in order to better help them learn.

understand  adult students needs and charactrestics . their goals and motivations and their abilities . understand how to use their strenghthes and how to be carful with their weaknesses during the classes 

I have learned the different ways in which adult learners learn and how to best meet them where they are. 

Speaking from live experience helps engage students because when saying a story is a different tone of voice rather than reading out of a book. It doesn't sound so boring and when speaking up front to the class you have eye contact with them, it catches their attention a lot more and is a easier way of explaining content from a material rather than reading it out of a book. 

It was a very helpful course for me. Great to learn that the instructor teaching an adult group of students needs to pay attention to many other aspects like diversity of age, ethnicity, career goals, student needs, fears and frustrations in addition to just delivering the lectures and knowledge, in order to be successful and improve retention of students. Involvement / participation of students in the class is very significant to keep them engaged and lead them to be successful.

The biggest take away from this course was that you need to help understand your student and where they are coming from to help them be successful.  However, you need to be careful that you do not get suck into their lives.

Getting to know what their goals are within this career field. What motivated them to enroll in this specific field. Once I know those things, I can use that knowledge to further support and encourage them to continue reaching their goals.

How important it is to understand where your students are coming from and what they want to achieve. Getting there- to be successful- is different for everyone. We need to recognize this and assist the students to be reach their goals. 

I always try to get to know my students personally (in a healthy way with boundaries) to better help me teach and motivate.

Keeping the students perspective in mind when teaching will help them succeed.

This class is showing that there are a lot more things going on with students than just making it to class on time.

We have to understand these needs so as to better provide students with a focus of class obligations and involvement.

I liked the idea of student cards.

This course was extremely informative for me as a first-time educator, I've learned the differences between expectations for adult learners and younger learners, the social aspect of both groups coming into an educational environment whether it be young learners coming straight from high school or adult learners coming back to further their education. I've learned the importance of your students' basic intrinsic needs and the importance of helping your students identify their career goals and helping them stay on track to achieve their aspirations. Another section of this course that I found helpful was the support system, encouragement of your students' efforts and validation can help them be successful in your course and help them remain focused. My biggest take away from this course is that it's important to maintain a professional boundary, but life happens, and naturally there will be obstacles that can impede a student's success. It's important that any issues that may arise for my students are addressed and I'm able to help as appropriate so I can keep my students focused and on track when in the classroom. 

This course is making me look more closely at my teaching methods. I find myself putting myself in my students shoes, trying to figure out how much attention I am paying to their needs beyond learning the skills. I think I am measuring up pretty well. I like the idea of the "student card." This will make it easier to see the specific needs the students have that will help them be more successful in my class.

I have learned that you have to create a line of communication with your students, so they can  have  security that were they are learning there skills is a save environment  and they can always count on the teacher's support and guidance for the success in there future.

This module highlights meeting student needs in a course by understanding the individual needs and meeting them through motivational learning and encouragement. 

I’ve learn that getting to know the background of students make its easier to pinpoint the importance of learning between each other.

You can't reach your students if you do not know them and where they are coming from. 

Viewing the classroom and learning styles from the eyes of the student is a helpful suggestion. Also, Maslow's hierarchy of basic needs to be met for each student. 

My belief was re-enforced on this topic, it also took me back to my days as a student (not so long ago) and made me think about why I was attending school.  Understanding the why is just as important as any other aspect of the student to me.  What motivates people is very different for everyone.

Sign In to comment