Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's essential to develop institutional strategies that will encompass the learning needs of students from different backgrounds.

This course highlighted the importance of looking at each students individual background, expectations and goals. I like the idea of looking at each students individual background and knowledge in order to see what special characteristics they can bring to the course. 

Understanding "student characteristics", sheds light on many important qualities for teachers. I learnt:

1. Looking at classroom from students perspective and his needs.

2. Listening to students' frustration and needs; is very powerful.

3. Many things which institution or instructor can't help in e.g. external needs (childcare, domestic); become less burdensome, if instructor uses encouragement, and validation of students' learning process.

4. Solving extrinsic needs is important, as they are the first needs in Maslow's hierarchy. 

This was extremely helpful in identifying items or situations I have experienced in the classroom, but items I have not formally identified as a "textbook" terms. For example, I have seen students exhibit behavior that show fear in social failure. I have seen first hand students prioritize this fear over their academics. It is affirming to have this formalized in this course with have tools to address and design course content in ways that can ease this student fear. 

Making the student feel safe and comfortable in the class setting to participate and thrive is very important and I can do better at this. 

Look at the classroom and see how the students are seeing it 

The importance of incorporating the student's experiences in to the lecture so they can build on their own knowledge from their own life experiences.

I now have a better understanding of the importance of class organization,

and the ways it affects learners of different ages.

Be there for the student when needed, stay professional and provided resources when needed to help student stay focused on goals.

A person needs to grow in order to learn

I learned that traditional and nontraditional students have view learning differently and may require different levels of motivations.  The classroom setting should remain a neutral setting that encourages learning for all.

Communication is essential.  Faculty need to get to know their students and how to be help them individually.  If complications arise then this knowledge will help.  

from this section I have learned the importance of environment for a student to thrive and feel comfortable. I have also learned that is important to make a student feel comfortable and encouraged within your class, also that you are there to listen 

I have been an instructor for 3 years, beginning my time just as covid hit.  I can see how this topic is so relevant, even from the beginning.  I had to navigate learning to teach in an on-line environment, providing good content, implementing teaching strategies, and learning the types of students I was teaching.  I have found, it is both newly graduated high school and the majority, nontraditional or adult learners.  I found I had challenges with wanting to pull the "Mom card" as there were students that wanted to blame their challenges on the course or instructor.  

Regardless of what you are teaching post high school or nontraditional student, I imagine the student characteristics are the same challenging for all. 

Instructors would do well to incorporate student experiences into the lessons being taught. 

It is important to understand student's extrinsic needs and provide internal support.

By discussing student expectations before a class begins, I have learned different ways to approach how to present subjects to different styles learners in the classroom. Which should have the most beneficial effects for each and every students different learning style.

I have learned that students will encounter frustrations and it is my role as the professor to not get involved in the complaint, but to encourage and help come up with an action plan

One of the many important things I learned was that listening to our student's is always a good way to make them feel like they are heard and though it may not be a classroom problem, it may affect it. 

First of all, I have reaffirmed the need to have a good learning environment. I have learned that pairing older students with younger students can be made to be advantageous. Older students are more mature and have many insights and life experiences to offer. A valuable bit of information is how to deal with a frustrated student. This happens more than one would wish to think.

Sign In to comment