Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned from this module that listening is a major factor or maintaining student retention. Students are coming from diverse backgrounds and as an instructor get to know your students, in order to decrease student withdrawal.

That all student are different 

I have learned there are many contributing factors to student sucess. Some may be out of our control but being aware they exist is part of finding solutions to support the students. 

This course opened my eyes to looking at student though a different lens. Looking for signs like, lack of participation, signs of frustration, noticing stress due to cultural or social differences. Also how I engage them involved in the learning process, by way of asking non intimidating question or explaining that answering incorrectly does not mean your are inept, rather it means you haven't acquire the necessary skill which is why your are here.

I have learned that looking at the classroom environment from the student's perspective is important to foster a safe learning expereince for the student

It is important to know the student's intrinsic motivations as well as the extrinsic motivations to be able to help them achieve their goals of attaining an education. It is very important for the instructor to be able to find opportunities to encourage students at all times in order to keep them on point with their education.

Knowing about your students and what unique traits and skills they bring to the classroom. Encouraging students to make real-world/real-life connections to the content.

Understanding that students have differences in their life experiences, which will impact their learning.

I think by showing your enthusiasm and passion you have for the field they want to succeed and work in , this will be a motivation to reach the end goal for them.

I think the best way is to get everyone talking first. This helps with the feeling of security due to the fact everyone is in the class to learn. Then deal with the feeling of belonging, cultural differences and so forth. This course has given me a new perspective on a better way to approach to melding the class into a complete learning environment.

I feel like this module is very informative. I have learned about outlying factors that affect my student’s success that I never considered before. I knew I could assist them but did not know tangible limitations. I pride myself in cultivating a supportive environment but sometimes felt like I was overstepping. The direction and different point of view is appreciated. 

I learned how students are different

I learned how to connect with students. 

This is also what I have learned from this course. I have an innate desire to know a little about my students and have tried to use this. I think after this course I will be able to expand upon that to know all of the students instead of just the ones that are more vocal and readily engage.

I agree Holly. I am acutely aware that not all of my students are interested in the specialty area taught in my course, but they are required to complete the course as part of their program. I have tried to find ways to make it more relevant to their interests, but I think it might be helpful to learn a little more about these students to help make it more relevant to them.

to encourage students to grow

Associate learning and outcomes as related to industry and practical application

It is important to know where you students are coming from.

I think it is important o see things through the student's perspective.

Part of the role of the teacher of nontraditional students is to acclimate them to workforce expectations.

Sign In to comment