Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's important to know how your students learn and cater teaching toward that.

There many way students can learn. It is impossible to use only one style to one type of students. What I learn is that I must combine different learning styles so that can cater to all group of students and their learning style. Also, I must help students realize that some material can only be taught by certain delivery method and will not match their learning style, and they must be ok with that as well. 

The learning style survey is a great way to not only engage students on the front end of a class but establish who learns best in what way. The best thing about being a career tech teacher is the ability to engage these learning styles from classroom work, to computer lab work, to equipment lab work, it gives each student a chance to shine especially when they work in small groups

I discovered that classroom instruction will be effective if designed with multiple learning styles. I thought it was amazing that a student’s performance could increase 10-15% on an exam if they covered the material in their dominant learning style. 

When presenting material, it is a good strategy to group students who can benefit by incorporating their individual learning styles.

I enjoy learning in all facets of teaching styles.  It just depends on the subject or goal.  I will be sure to also incorporate all the learning styles when delivering instruction of any type!

The best thing about teaching in the medical field is all of the learning styles can covered in a class or the lab.

Students have 4 learning style, each student may have a preference and learn better in their prefeered stayle, but all can benefit to some degree with the other ways.

Understanding the 4 different learning styles

I have already learned that I am a visual-learner. However, I can see the benefit of the other styles of learning.  I will keep those other style in mind when meeting new students.

I learned about various students' learning preferences and its importance. I can use this knowledge to better understand and cater to the diverse learning styles of students. For instance, when teaching or designing educational materials, it is important to consider incorporating strategies that appeal to auditory learners, such as encouraging class discussions and providing audio resources. Similarly, it is important to ensure to include written materials for those who prefer reading, use visuals for visual learners, and incorporate hands-on activities and movement for kinesthetic learners to create a more inclusive and effective learning environment.

Comment on Apryl Remmer's post: Great idea. I utilize concept maps and sometimes we work on them as a group. I also incorporate videos pertaining to the topic of discussion in my teaching. We also go over how to perform skills and the students need to perform a retrun demonstration on the specific skill.

By using multiple type of learning styles to complete lessons you can boost retention rates by 10-15 % by engaging in the student's preferred method of learning. It also allows other students to expand the way they learn by using methods other than visual or auditory to become more well-rounded.

I always thought that I was a visual learner. After hearing about all the learning styles, I have found that I am in the Kinesiology group! That is surprising to me. I think that providing the students with a learning preference survey early in the year, will help me know how best to teach certain students. I do provide all teaching strategies, by reading in text, doing worksheets, Powerpoint discussions, a little computer work, and a lots of hands on. However, I sometimes am repeating the work and not covering all that I should. I could offer the students a choice on how they want to learn the lesson. That might be a strategy that I add. 

I find using visualization like PPT, flowcharts and videos in a classroom to be very helpful. Also, some sort of work projects as group made to be game-like can also be fun and helps to learn information.

Figuring out how to blend styles so everyone has a take away regardless of how they best learn.

Audio and visual presentations together will be beneficial to all types of motivated learners.  

Understand the different learning styles and try to apply it to your student.

There is not a one step fits all approach to teaching students. It is important to try and understand what learning style your students have and then use the best approaches within your course to ensure that all students are able to learn in their own ways. 

I learned more about the main learning styles and the differences in them. I will apply this knowledge to future classes to be sure each learning style is addressed as best as possible for my students success.

Sign In to comment